Absence Seizure Questions

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Kelly and my 6 year old daughter Manuelita was recently diagnosed with absence seizures and the neurologist suggested Ethosuximide for treatment. I am reluctant to put her on this due to the overwhelming list of possible side effects as well as the possibility that it won't even work.

My 2 questions are:
1.Is there anyone out there who is caring for a child with un-medicated epilepsy and if so how is it?

2.Are there any studies on the effects of these seizures on the brain over time?

Obviously I want to do the best by my girl, but I also don't want to lose her to medication side effects.

Thank you.

Hi Kelly, welcome to the forum. :hello:

I can't answer your two questions, but I can tell you that my wife used to experience numerous absence seizures daily for years. She hasn't had any absence seizures since she used neurofeedback over a decade ago. YMMV.

Hi mymanuelita, welcome to CWE!

I agree with hootie -- the Modified Atkins Diet has shown good success with treating absence seizures. More info here: http://www.atkinsforseizures.com/

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom