Alarm App for iPhone?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ma701ss

New
Reaction score
Hi, I had my first seizure a few weeks ago. I wondered if there is an iPhone app, etc. that would prompt me to press a button at regular intervals, say every 30 minutes, and if I don't press it then it sends an alert to a family member? I only ask because my wife and mother-in-law have started every 10 minutes texting to see if I'm OK when I'm alone. I thought perhaps I could put the responsibility on myself to let them know rather than them keep asking. They would only get an alert if I forget to (or cannot) press an "I'm OK" button. As long as they know I have the app running then that should give them peace of mind that they'll get an alert if something happens. Anything like this out there?

My phone has a calendar app on it that you can set things on and will beep at that time. You can set it so that it will repeat these events to go off every day at that time. If your phone has something like that you could set it to go off at 10am, 11am and so on. You could tell them when you have it set for and they should get a text from them at the set time.

My husband leaves for work at 5am and I take my meds at 7am. He has me send him a text to make sure I took my meds, just to be on the safe side that my alarm went off. The only time he calls to check on me to see if I'm ok is if I've had a few seizures the day before.

If I'm on the phone with someone I always have to answer the beep. It's frustrating because I might be having an important call with the phone company dealing with my bill (for example) and I have to ask them to hold on while I answer the beep. I just do a quick "I'll call you back I'm on the phone with who ever and go back to the other call. When I explain to the person I had to put on hold why I had to take the call they usually understand and we go back to dealing with what ever we were.

In general though your family needs to relax. My family was like this at first. Now the only time they really worry is if they know I'm home alone and don't answer the phone if they call, just for a conversation not a check on me call.

There are plenty of panic/emergency apps, but I'm not sure if there are any that work in quite that way- they're all usually press to send, and/or use location/motion detection.

There's an Android app called EpDetect which is about the closest to what you described- but even if that were available for the iPhone, it uses motion detection of potential convulsions instead of a countdown.

Back
Top Bottom