Alcohol and Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jo Jo

New
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am relatively new here and have JME (well the Neurologist says it is not a classic JME but very similar signs on the EEG and symptoms of myoclonics, Grand Mal). I live in Spain and work for TUI, a large tourism company and have a wonderful life in the sun with my Spanish husband and 2 labradors. Obviously here with everyone on holiday and the fabulous year round lovely weather, the social life is great with people sat on terraces, enjoying a drink, having ´tapas´ (a lovely little snack you get when you buy a drink). I love a glass or 2 of wine but sometimes maybe overdo it. My husband is just amazing with my epilepsy, he takes it so well and ALWAYS looks after me so well. I especially feel grateful that he doesn´t make it a bit deal, and when I have a seizure, he cares for me and then life goes on as normal. I don´t like a lot of fuss and attention afterwards. I tend to have a grand mal every 6 months, almost to the day! I know I shouldn´t drink alcohol on meds but have always said I won´t let epilepsy run my life. But, if it really is this that is causing the seizures then of course I would stop! But, why is it that I can drink for 6 months and nothing, then suddenly it hits. Do seizures build up over time? I am so scared of grand mal seizures and they ALWAYS are in the morning about 1 hour or so after waking up. My husband even bought me a ´tea maker´ machine so I can have my tea without getting out of bed to avoid any injuries. I just don´t understand that if it is alcohol why it doesn´t happen every time I drink. I am not an alcholic but here in Spain it is very social to have a few drinks and relax and I drink a few times a week a maximum of 4 glasses of wine 3 times a week. Please any advice or similar experiences would be much appreciated. I don´t know whether the medication I take just doesn´t work or it really is a need of cutting the alcohol right out. I take Keppra 2500 mg and 400 mg lamictal every day. By the way I have had epilepsy for 23 years and just found this website. I have spent hours over the last few days reading peoples experiences and it is so useful and nice to hear other peoples experiences. Please help me with all your experiences and advice. Un abrazo (Spanish for a big hug to all friends). xx

I certainly found alcohol to be a trigger for seizures when i was younger,i was the same as you,"Ill be damned if epilepsy is going to change my life".I used to tend to drink heavily all weekend,then seize tuesday/wedensday.Now i still drink,but in moderation and dont have near as many seizures.

In terms off advice i think it really depends on how alcohol effects you personally.As is often said here everyones diffirent,Some cant take alcohol full stop,others can have a few its really a personal thing.The best thing to do is disscuss it with your nuero.

Good luck.

Hi JoJo! I was always a very light drinker and finally decided not to drink at all because I knew it interacted with the Dilantin I take. However I find your question very interesting so did some investigation.

Apparently it is alcohol withdrawal that is more likely to cause a seizure

In small amounts, alcohol does not cause seizures. A drink or two now and then does not increase seizure activity. Nor does it alter the amounts of seizure medicines in your blood or change findings on EEG studies. When alcohol is related to seizures, it has been found that it is nearly always the state of alcohol withdrawal that aggravates seizures, rather than drinking itself. Your risk of seizures may be much higher after consuming three or more alcoholic beverages. These alcohol withdrawal seizures may begin between 6 and 72 hours after you stop drinking. Studies suggest that alcohol withdrawal seizures most often occur 7 or 8 hours after heavy or prolonged drinking has stopped. Link: Epilepsy & Alcohol

Also alcohol can affect the effectiveness of the medication you are taking.
Dilantin and Alcohol Side Effects
Drinking alcohol chronically may decrease the level of Dilantin in your blood, making it less effective. However, binge drinking may raise the level of Dilantin in your blood, increasing your chances of Dilantin side effects.

It is best to avoid alcohol while taking Dilantin. However, if you do drink, it is important to do so consistently. Do not binge drink, and do not stop drinking suddenly without your healthcare provider's approval. Link: Dilantin and Alcohol

I totally agree with you that you should not let epilepsy run your life. My doctor understands that my horses are an important part of the quality of my life so even though I'm not supposed to he's very okay with the fact that I ride. Same thing applies in your situation - it's a quality of life thing. You may want to discuss with your doctor why this happens and/or check out how alcohol interacts with your medication. And you may also want to keep a journal to help determine seizure triggers.

Other than that I simply suggest to live each moment to the fullest!

I think it depends on the person and the medication you're taking. I know for me alcohol doesn't really cause issues. My last TC seizure was while I was deployed and hadn't drank for awhile. I rarely drink now but I've noticed when I do that I actually have LESS seizure activity (I waz drinking a glass or two of wine most nights before I left for deployment with no issues ). Also I'm also on Keppra (2000 mg) and Lamictal XR (100). I wouldn't drink NOW because my Lamictal is new and I'm still adjusting to it and have been getting dizzy, but knowing what I know about how my body reacts to alcohol I probably would continue to have some drinks.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

It does depend on the person. Though, if you are taking Keppra or almost any seizure medication I wouldn't recommend drinking in a heavy amounts or at all. Before I had my first grand mal and diagnosis I gave did drink. I did have a lot more problems. Now I can't drink at all or I feel auras. It can be so hit and miss with each person. Welcome to the forum amigo.

Thanks for all your messages - it is so good when you hear other peoples experiences - for me it really helps to put things in proportion. I think I need to have a case of ´elimination´ and stop drinking for a while and see if the seizures stop. At least then maybe I will know if it is the alcohol or my medication is just not right. I still do not understand though why the seizures are so regular almost to the day?? Has anyone else experienced this? Once again does anyone know if they can build up after a while? I think for me sleep is the main thing - the last seizure I had was when my husband was off and we went out until 3am in the morning. Not a lot of alcohol but my sleep pattern was disrupted and I always wake early no matter what time I go to bed! I have asked my neuro about drinking and obviously a doctor will say ´no alcohol at all´ so this wasn´t very helpful! Well I am now sat outside in the garden - the temperature here is 36 degrees so very very hot! Hope everyone else is ok and look forward to hearing from you. Bye from sunny Spain!

I drink beer, sometimes just 1 or 2. Other times, maybe 4 or 5. I've not had any problems except for yucky hangovers. My seizures are controlled on Lamictal. Knock wood!!!

Like CathyAnn, my seizures are controlled on Lamictal, and I have no problems having a few drinks -- beer, wine, booze. Moderation and hydration of course. :)

Nakamova/CathyAnn,
Did you have Grand Mals? How long have you been controlled? I just really want any advice as to whether its the alcohol causing the seizures as if it was the alcohol, wouldn´t it happen every time?? I do find as well that lack of sleep has a big impact especially if combined with a few drinks!! I so want to control the Grand Mals!!! 2 years ago I had a seizure coming out of our shower and knocked my had very hard on our marble sink top. I had a sub-dural hematoma, burst ear drum plus a 4 inch cut in my head! I was in hospital for over a week and it was a bit touch and go for a while. I didn´t drink for ages after that (as I am sure you can imagine) but it is all too easy to forget. I had about 3 drinks at a lunch the day before but nothing major. What do you think is ´moderation´ ?? I have no more than 3 at one time and try to make sure I get 7 hours sleep if I have had a drink. I am sorry to ask so many questions but my neuro is not particularly sympathetic as, as soon as I mention I had a drink, he just says that is what is causing it, but maybe I am not on the right medication? Thank you so much to all of you for answering.

Hi JoJo --

Yes, I have grand mals, no warning auras or other kinds of seizures. I've been controlled for 4 years, and on-and-off before that.

As for what is "moderate" -- it really varies from person to person. If you know that alcohol affects you, play it safe and limit what you drink. It can also help to make sure you have food at the same time you are drinking, drink plenty of water alongside the alcohol, and be consistent in taking your meds.

If alcohol is a trigger, it doesn't necessarily follow that it would trigger your seizures every time (unless you had an actual alcohol allergy). Our seizure thresholds go up and down in response to a wide variety of stressors -- some known and some unknown -- in combination and also cumulatively. As you know, your metabolism changes over the course of a day, and also over time as you age, in response to a wide variety of internal and external stimuli. In a similar way, your seizure threshold can vary too.

drinking and seizing

i am very social and dont drink. if drinking means relaxing with friends, then just switch your alcohol for a a bottle of water. you can do the same crazy stuff they do.

plus water doesnt interfere with your seizures and is actually better for you.

its important to put your health before someone elses opinion of you.

Back
Top Bottom