Alternatives to Dilantin?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It depends on your individual metabolism, and other external factors (like alcohol, which can increase absorption). In general though, the half-life of Dilantin is 22 hours, with a range of 7 to 42 hours. That means for some people, it takes only 7 hours for a given dose to process through the system, and for others it's as long as 42 hours. So it's tough to predict in your particular case. Overnight, when people tend to be less active, the Dilantin might process more slowly through the system than during the daytime. When I was on Dilantin, if I thought I missed a dose my instructions were to wait until the next scheduled dosing and take my regular dose then. And to be careful in the intervening time -- i.e. make sure I'm eating in a well-balanced way, stay away from excessive caffeine or alcohol, don't overdo, avoid stress. But I'm very responsive to medication, and not particularly sensitive to small variations in dosage. If you have any doubt or worry at all, you should call your neurologist for instructions about how to proceed.

Hi Moses

This is so individualized, as far as treatment and triggers.

I have been on Dilantin generic for over 30 years (phenobarbital as a child for 3 years). It was a G.P. who put me on liquid Dilantin, almost 7 years ago. I have been seizure free since. I have also done alternative stuff, diet etc... My bone scans are in the upper normal range (am 52), I attribute that to genetics (amazons on my Moms side!), and a life full of physical activity. I split my dose to 2x day. Same time in the a.m. and p.m.. I never, I mean never forget to take it. By the way, I lost my job in May 09, and my going out to eat came to a grinding halt. I then discovered CWE. My diet has changed. Long story short, I have not had an aura since I lost my job (even with stress). The food connection is there, at least for me. Just some thoughts from a veteran, hope it helps. Congrats!!!

gigi

Great to know the diet has made a difference! Every success story, underlines the need for the medical establishment to pay greater attention to the role of gluten-free diets in controlling epilepsy.

Back
Top Bottom