Any suggestions?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dark.eyed

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. This looks like an amazing resource. My fiance has epilepsy. He started having grand mals 7 years ago. these seemed to be triggered by alcohol and without any alcohol those have stopped. However, he continues to have simple/complex partials. Sometimes they are sporadic, and sometimes there are several a day. We have tried many meds and now he's taking keppra xr. It helps but doesn't eliminate them. This would be manageable except he has chronic nausea as well, he feels sick all the time. I was wondering if this was a symptom that anyone else has experienced.... its been happening for about 2 years, since before the keppra, topamax seemed to help it but made him a totally different angry person. I'm kind of at a loss.

Hi dark.eyed,

Welcome to CWE. You have come to the right place. There are many rescoures here. It is great that you are supporting your fiance.

I was on Keppra and other people here have had the side effect of anger. I take vitamin B complex for the side effects. I do not have anger. My neurologist told me to take Vitamin B complex for Keppra. Try that!!.

I have never been on topamax. I do not know the side effects of it. I do not have nausea. That could be a side effect. I have found out that the best way to find out the side effects of any medicine is to ask your pharmacist. A pharmacist is trained in medicines. Doctor's do not always know the side effects. They are not trained in that field. I hope I have been of some help.

Thank you! We will definitely try the B complex. The nausea started before the seizure meds though.... I have no idea if it's related to epilepsy at all.

Hello Dark eyed - WELCOME

I am controlling my daughters seizures which began three years ago, with alternative therapies. One being nutrition. You say your BF has had seizures due to alcohol consumption. I think you need to ask "Why?" Is it making the body to acidic? Too much ammonia in the system? There might be a blood sugar issue, or mineral deficiency. All or part of this can cause seizures.

My daughters appears to be an imbalance in her blood sugars, and this has also caused a hormonal imbalance which is also a trigger. I am seeing positive results by making serious nutritional changes. Low blood sugar can cause memory issues, and even psychotic episodes. It can also be a reaction to foods... this is called Reactive Hypoglycemia.

Improvement with nutrition is not a quick fix as many would like. Medication can control some quickly, but in the long run, they can cause extensive medical issues in the body. So, it has been my experience, that healing from the inside out, will create an environment for health, and improvement in raising the seizure threshold.

Hi there and welcome --

Although your fiance's nausea predates the seizure meds, the meds may be making it worse. I had nausea while on Zonisamide, and found that ginger helped, and also consuming more alkaline foods (as opposed to acid foods). Watermelon worked well too.

Good luck,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom