Anybody know what im talking about?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello there, this question is probably not related to epilepsy and i do not wish to offend anybody who has real epilepsy but i cant find anywer else more closely related. Is it just me or as we get older everything seems to become less real, more desensitized and also I lack concentration. I worry less and seem to care less about things than when i was a child. Maybe all of this is naturual but when i ask my friends or family they dont seem to understand where im coming from. Also when i stand up after resting for a long period i go light headed (presumably low blood pressure) and have tunnel vision and walk around into different rooms instictively, also the last time this happened i got up i started stamping my foot off the floor incontrollably for about 10 seconds but this has only happened once. Also these effects are dramatically hightened after playing video games for a long period of time. Thankyou for your time and please reply.

It sounds as if you are having partial seizures. have you discussed this with your neurologist? its not uncommon for AEDs to stop working, or work less effectively, the longer you've been on them

Michael - welcome

so when you say it happens after playing video games for a long period of time.. how long do you mean?

thanks for the replys, iv never had medication or seen a nuerologist iv never considered this until now. Also when i play video games it gradualy gets worse as i play for more than an hour or 2, my reflexes and awareness are worse and my breathing goes slower, but never to a point wer i cant control myself. any ideas? im only 18 by the way. thanks

Last edited:
Hi Michael, welcome to the forum. :hello:

You might consider seeing a Neurologist and having an EEG test done (while you are playing a video game) to see if there is any seizure (epileptiform) activity going on.

If you are photosensitive, you will need to stop exposing yourself the stimuli that is affecting you or the condition will get worse. It can get to the point where it's not just video games any more that trigger the problem. Flourescent lighting (office buildings, stores, hospitals, etc.) or even rapid light changes from sunlight filtering through trees as you ride in a car could end up causing problems for you.

Michael, I totally agree with Bernard. You need to be seen by a doctor. And let him know that your symptoms get worse while playing video games. It sounds like you might be photosensitive. If that's the case, you'll want to avoid video games, fluorescent lighting (and that includes those new light bulbs that look like screws), or possibly look into getting polarized blue glass lenses. They supposedly can cut the number of seizures. Also, while you're waiting to see a doctor, keep a daily journal. Write down what you eat and drink (how much and when), how much sleep you get every night, and any stress you're under. Also jot down any odd "spells" like deja vu, tingling limbs, migraines, odd light headed feelings, etc. and how long they last. This will give your doctor more information. And the more info they have, the better the chance of their making a good diagnosis.
If your sleep schedule is erratic, try to get it under control. If you're a caffeine junkie and thrive on coffee or energy drinks, start cutting back. Do it slowly so it's not a shock to your system. But start cutting back. I hope this helped.

thanks for the replys, iv never had medication or seen a nuerologist iv never considered this until now. Also when i play video games it gradualy gets worse as i play for more than an hour or 2, my reflexes and awareness are worse and my breathing goes slower, but never to a point wer i cant control myself. any ideas? im only 18 by the way. thanks

Well you are never supposed to play any computer game for longer than 45 minutes without a 15 minute break. I've no idea how violating that rule affects the general population though

One thing I didn't realize, but that was a big clue in my being photosensitive, is that I could play a computer game for 8 hours, but think only 20 minutes had passed. I thought I was just really intrigued by the game and it was one of those simpark games so you couldn't tell you had lapsed in game play. Now I have to stick to simpler games. For example, I can play diner dash, but once I get to the higher levels I have to stop because i get a headache from all the movement. I also can never play any game full screen - I need it in a small window so it doesn't take up as much of my field of vision

I do recommend you stop playing games until you get checked out. The more seizures you have the more seizures you will have and the harder they will be to control. Your brain learns how to have seizures from watching them happen which is why your sensitivity can increase. To be safe you might want to avoid tv also - have you noticed any problem with it? Those with extreme photosensitivity can't watch beause of the flicker rate, some of those with more moderate sensitivity can't watch because of all the special effects in shows today.

Lay off the games for a while until you're sure you are not photosensitive. The tunnel vision could also be a lesion in your brain. Get an MRI and an EEG and see a neurologist ASAP. Do you have any other symptoms? Are you taking medication for any other problems ? If you are a coffee junkie or drink/smoke regularly , i advise you to cut back ASAP. If not , good for you . Many video games come with a disclaimer on the pack saying it could trigger seizures in epileptics. How much time do you spend on the computer/TV? As a fellow gamer i too have gone into video game trances but i was sure i wasn't photosensitive. Get yourself checked up.

Back
Top Bottom