Anyone else have gelastic seizures? I'm new to the site

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lang709

New
Reaction score
Ever since I was born, I've had these "laughing fits" every night before I fell asleep. As I got older, they would occur during the day if I were tired or stressed. It has happened for several years into my early adulthood, and nothing has come of it, so my family took it as just something I did. Lately, perhaps due to stress or some other unknown factor, they have been increasing in frequency and strength. Worried that something may be medically wrong, I am going to have tests done soon to discover what is causing these seizures. We have thought it to be gelastic seizures but are not sure because it seems like there is no one out there that has it... especially as an adult. I can't really put into words what my laughing spells are like.. I get this odd rush of adrenaline a few seconds before they come and then the spell begins. It's an intense adrenaline rush and seems like fireworks going off in my neurons (as silly as that sounds, it is the closest I can manage to describing the intensity). The laughing will subside after about 10 seconds. Sometimes I am drained afterwards or fired up and angry for nothing. Regardless, these seizures are something that I have to deal with and hide from my friends. Because of its rare form, it is hard to find support.

Hi Lang709, welcome to CWE!

You've probably read the few threads on gelastic seizures here at CWE. As you note, it's relatively rare, so I'm not sure if we have any current members who suffer from them. Do you keep a symptom journal? That can be helpful for looking for patterns or triggers (such as stress), and it can also be useful to your doctors. And you might check out this thread: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/ It provides good information for thinking about triggers as well other ways to become proactive in your self-care.

Best,
Nakamova

There is also a condition called PBA - pseudobulbar affect. It can cause people to have spontaneous bouts of crying or laughing. I don't know much about it, or even if it can only be laughing or only be crying. I do remember reading that it is associated with brain damage of some sort, such as due to MS, stroke, Parkinson's, etc.

If you haven't already, see a neurologist about your symptoms so some testing can be done. Continue to keep a careful journal of your symptoms, keeping track of time of day the spells occur, how long they last, pre and post spell sensations if any, any witness descriptions of what they observed (may be different from what you felt).

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi Lang709,

Welcome to CWE. This forum was made out of love by Bernard for his wife Stacy. That love permeates throughout the whole forum.

I am going to have to look up gelastic seizures. Can you please tell me more about them?
What medications are you on?

I worked with a child who would laugh at inappropriate times. I used to get so frustrated. She was later diagnosed with LGS (a severe childhood epilepsy), and I wonder if this wasn't just another type of seizure for her. I felt terrible when I made the connection. I'm sorry I don't have any good advice to offer, but I wanted to share that story.

I have gelastic Epilepsy with the gelastic seizures. I was 40 years old when they started. I've had 4 brain surgeries since 2012 and take several kinds of meds.

Hi markw51, Welcome to CWE.

What are your symptoms of gelastic Epilepsy and seizures? What meds do you take?

Ever since I was born, I've had these "laughing fits" every night before I fell asleep. As I got older, they would occur during the day if I were tired or stressed. It has happened for several years into my early adulthood, and nothing has come of it, so my family took it as just something I did. Lately, perhaps due to stress or some other unknown factor, they have been increasing in frequency and strength. Worried that something may be medically wrong, I am going to have tests done soon to discover what is causing these seizures. We have thought it to be gelastic seizures but are not sure because it seems like there is no one out there that has it... especially as an adult. I can't really put into words what my laughing spells are like.. I get this odd rush of adrenaline a few seconds before they come and then the spell begins. It's an intense adrenaline rush and seems like fireworks going off in my neurons (as silly as that sounds, it is the closest I can manage to describing the intensity). The laughing will subside after about 10 seconds. Sometimes I am drained afterwards or fired up and angry for nothing. Regardless, these seizures are something that I have to deal with and hide from my friends. Because of its rare form, it is hard to find support.
Lang - Had gelastic seizures since birth - dealt with these for the past 44 years. You aren't alone but you are in somewhat rare company as this particular higher order seizure is not witnessed in 99.8% of the patient population with epilepsy. Finding a doctor who would recognize it and not pass it off as an emotional issue, psychological issue, or other such issue is rarer still. For the first twelve years of my life my pediatricians did not even offer a diagnosis - recommended biofeedback and psychotherapy. As though seizures were somehow triggered by some past life experience. What as sad reflection of medicine in the 70's.

Make sure they check for harmatoma. That is a common pathogenic source for gelastic seizures and can be corrected surgically. Gelastic seizures are witnessed most commonly with LTE (left temporal lobe epilepsy) but that is not exclusively the domain of LTE.

By far the experience of having a gelastic seizure is one of the most unique experiences one can have in life. An adrenaline-explosion of energy bursting forth from your chest and through your face and head. I always imagined as a child that this was what the Human Torch (Fantastic 4) felt when he did his "Flame On" bit int he comics.

It truly shows the complexity of one of the brain's higher functions (e.g. laughing) which are programmed emotional responses that are under fine control. When a misfiring neuron trips the wires you get a view at how programmed you are. It is somewhat awe-inspiring and startling at how we biological machines with biological programming on a chemical, electrical, and cellular/systemic basis.

:)

Thanks for the great info TJtheUSM. And welcome to CWE!

I have met some people over the years who laughed inappropriately I thought it odd but makes wonder if more common than we think...It surely is amazing one nerve cell wrong place and strangest things happen

Hi stumbled accross your Thread/Post Lang709 - I is lucky enough to suffer (well did until met Dr mohanraj in late 2011) from Gelastic Dycrastic (laughing then crying) seizures they were a interesting experience especially when you were having a semi serious conversation with people and the you just suddenly brust in to uncontrollable laughter and then start crying, and then sort of feeling of euphoria - I just used to apologise and people would say no worries but could never quite understand why it was happening (also cause of the rareity in adults etc there isn't much info on the subject and who really would think/believe it was a seizure... I realised i had a proper issue when a stranger point out it appeared i was using cocaine (all i had consumed up to that point was a glass of red wine, at the time i was a harden drinker, and I never really indulged powdered drugs (okay i admit twice in my life but didn't enjoy the effect - it turns you into a arrogant wanker) but there were also other things (now understand these were due to CP seizures) that i explained away cause of the structure of my life but slowly changed my life habits to counter the consquences of this but to no avail - I have a DNET in my right temporal lobe that extrends slightly into my hypothalamus, thus explains why (the gelastic thing) it happens - but not many people have an understanding, let alone believe that these episodes are seizures. Seriously you say you hide it from your friends - but if they are are your friends they should make the effort (print them off some reading about gelastic seizures) and support you, you shouldn't be embarrassed (i understand that is difficult) I know my friends (the close ones) are aware of the laughing episodes etc they may poke fun every now and then but they know I can't help it and they support me in there own way. Have you looked at reading 'The Idiot' by Dostoyevsky - (I own it with the intention to read but the Lamictal i'm being fed slightly interfers with that i believe, but we are looking into that at the mo) i've read many extract online with reference to Prince Myshkin experiences and can relate, its believed to Dostoyevsky suffered from seizures and is relating his experiences through PM. - its good cause it helps to know that these freaky occurances aren't just you being messed up and there is a reason for it. I'm aware there is someone on here called - Bluebrkr who has gelastic seizures also - greater faith and coping; also aehasting fiance does. others i have found have kids who suffer Haircut, karen b , DeenaCann, mother bear and theresa SC Serouisly if you wanna chat feel free to inbox me or reply on this thread (i'm not really shy about the seizure thing on here as its why website/network site exists (thank you Bernard) nice to meet you (cyberly)! stuart

Back
Top Bottom