Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MarkyMark

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I want to take Ascorbic Acid (which is Vitamin C) in a pretty high dose. However I'm also aware that Ascorbic Acid comes from corn so I'm concerned that it has a high Glutamate content. I'm worried that I'm going to excite my brain as if I were to eat MSG.

Is anyone familiar with this?

MarkyMark

I have taken Vitamin C in high doses before many times and my epileptologist had no problem with it. I believe that ascorbic acid can be derived from any form of glucose, not sure if it has much to do with glutamine though.

I never really noticed much of an improvement by taking large quantities and upon reading up on it, it does not help a whole lot as your body will only use as much as it needs.

I found some info on it that states:

Ascorbic acid is found in plants, animals, and single-cell organisms where it is produced from glucose.[10] All animals either make it, eat it, or else die from scurvy due to lack of it. Reptiles and older orders of birds make ascorbic acid in their kidneys. Recent orders of birds and most mammals make ascorbic acid in their liver where the enzyme L-gulonolactone oxidase is required to convert glucose to ascorbic acid.[10] Humans, some other primates, and guinea pigs are not able to make L-gulonolactone oxidase because of a genetic mutation and are therefore unable to make ascorbic acid. Synthesis and signalling properties are still under investigation.[11] Sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid are also used in swimming pools and spas to reduce high levels of both chlorine and bromine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascorbic_acid

I tried researching but did not really find any correlation with it and glutamine. As far as MSG coming from corn, that would only happen in processed foods such as High Fructose Corn Syrup from what I could find.

Why do you want to take a high-dose of Vitamin C? The science just isn't there to prove that high-dose supplements make a significant difference, and you can safely get ascorbic acid from tons of different fruits and vegetables. Vitamin C is much better absorbed when you get it from whole-food sources as opposed to from supplements. (And most of the research on the benefits of Vitamin C has been done using foods high in C, not synthesized supplements.)

In addition, taking synthetic ascorbic acid can make the body more acidic over time and steals from the body’s calcium reserves (because the body has to release calcium to neutralize the synthetic ascorbic acid). Higher acidity is associated with poorer health, and with long-term use synthetic ascorbic acid products can have negative effects on your health.

If you want to take the supplement anyway, don't worry about the fact that synthetic C is made from corn. There is nothing in ascorbic acid molecule that resembles the corn it was made from, and your body will not react to it as if it were corn.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the responses.

I want to take the high dose of vitamin C to treat herpes infection which I think has been responsible for my last seizure. I also developed Bell's Palsy on the right side of my face which is also due to the herpes virus.

So I want to take large doses to get theraputic results. I done a lot of reading as of late on Orthomolecular medicine which is taking high dose vitamins to treat sickness and disease.

There is plenty of evidence that high dose vitamins helps in treating many ailments.

There is plenty of evidence that high dose vitamins helps in treating many ailments.

Actually, the only people that claim that Orthomolecular medicine works are the people who practice it & sell the supplements. There has been no studies that have been done in a scientifically accepted method that show there to be any value to it. It has been shown however that taking large amounts of certain supplements can cause medical problems. Taking too much vitamine C leading to kidney stones is a good example.
Amounts higher than 2000 mg per day are POSSIBLY UNSAFE and may cause a lot of side effects, including kidney stones and severe diarrhea
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1001.html
Orthomolecular therapies have been criticized as lacking a sufficient evidence base for clinical use: their scientific foundations are too weak, the studies that have been performed are too few and too open to interpretation, and reported positive findings in observational studies are contradicted by the results of more rigorous clinical trials.[52][57] Accordingly, "there is no evidence that orthomolecular medicine is effective". Proponents of orthomolecular medicine strongly dispute this statement by citing studies demonstrating the effectiveness of treatments involving vitamins, though this ignores the belief that a normal diet will provide adequate nutrients to avoid deficiencies, and that orthomolecular treatments are not actually related to vitamin deficiency.[7] The lack of scientifically rigorous testing of orthomolecular medicine has led to its practices being classed with other forms of alternative medicine and regarded as unscientific.[58][59][60] It has been described as food faddism and quackery, with critics arguing that it is based upon an "exaggerated belief in the effects of nutrition upon health and disease."[11][12][13] Orthomolecular practitioners will often use dubious diagnostic methods to define what substances are "correct"; one example is hair analysis, which produces spurious results when used in this fashion.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthomolecular_medicine#Medical_and_scientific_reception

Epileric,

Thanks for the response...

I guess one can argue that the only people who think medications work are the ones who are selling it.

There are some very smart people who are not selling anything, just putting out information.

As far as causing kidney stones. This is on the news almost every week that some type of Vitamin is harmful. Where is the proof.

Again there is a difference in preventing disease and treating an existing problem. It's like taking an antibiotic to prevent a sickness, however if you already have an bad sickness you will probably have to take a Higher dose or stronger antibiotic.

MarkyMark

Epileric,

Thanks for the response...

I guess one can argue that the only people who think medications work are the ones who are selling it.

Sorry, my point was that there is no scientific evidence that orthomolecular medicine works whereas various medications have to go pass scientific testing before being presented to the public.

There are some very smart people who are not selling anything, just putting out information.
No matter how smart they are I have more faith in things that have passed scientific rigour.

As far as causing kidney stones. This is on the news almost every week that some type of Vitamin is harmful. Where is the proof.
There have been numerous studies that have shown excessive Vitamin C to likely cause kidney stones. This study in the British Medical Journal is one of them
Vitamin C supplementation may increase urinary oxalate excretion and the risk of calcium oxalate crystallisation in patients who form calcium stones.17
http://www.bmj.com/content/328/7453/1420.full?sid=3d7dbd7d-2689-403f-b8b2-61e665cf313d

Again there is a difference in preventing disease and treating an existing problem. It's like taking an antibiotic to prevent a sickness, however if you already have an bad sickness you will probably have to take a Higher dose or stronger antibiotic.
Exactly, taking excessive vitamine C when your body doesn't need to use it may have unwanted consequences. Thanks.

I'm the proof. I'm immunocompromised (IgA deficient) and before that was controlled through improved diet, took high doses of vitamin C to manage my infections. As ascorbic acid gives me reflux, I took calcium ascorbate. My urologist told me not to, as it was contributing to my kidney stones.

My change in diet was when I went gluten free/wheat free, ate more fruit and veg, and my staple drink became water/soda water.

Good luck with your infection.

Mark -
I have read in my research about high dose Vit C. Many families have seen results.
I am not willing to argue science vs non. My daughter is a good example of non-science, and she is improving daily. We can teach the conventional medical community a thing or two. Anecdotal evidence is where I put my focus.

I have had some private conversations with DogtorJ recently about viruses and their role in medical symptoms. The medical community is not up to speed on this it seems.

You might consider researching Virastop, but also understand that when killing viruses, yeast increases.

I am not willing to argue science vs non.

But just by claiming unproven "cures" to work and presenting them as "non-science" as well as stating "We can teach the conventional medical community a thing or two" you are arguing exactly that.

Just realize that when something is accepted by science it had been proven beyond simple anecdotes to be fact. Anecdotes are exactly that... unproven anecdotes.
Anecdotal evidence is where I put my focus.
OK if that's what you like but I'm very skeptical about anecdotes because they are just from one or more persons single viewpoint & not necessarily objective, just like stories do, they become exaggerated and distorted too easily. Have you ever played "broken telephone" as a kid when you all whisper something around the circle?

Besides, if I'm going to put something in my body to help cure something, doing so because "someone said it worked" just isn't enough for me. Do remember that the phrase "anecdotal proof" is really an oxymoron.

. My daughter is a good example of non-science, and she is improving daily.
RobinN, your daughter still is having seizures usually around her period. That is less than she had before but I'm afraid it proves nothing. Many people with seizures have them lessen for no obvious reason, sometimes with treatment and sometimes without. Some people even have less seizures than your daughter to start. That doesn't mean they'd be better or worse if they did something different.

I'm glad for you and her that they have lessened but as far as proving something I'm afraid it proves nothing. This has happened too many times without treatments of any sort to assume that what you were doing is what caused the seizures to lessen.

Last edited:
I would have to agree, Epileric. The actual definition of anecdotal evidence proves its errors right out, it is actually defined as evidence that has not been based on careful study, or coming from word of mouth without being based on solid facts or research.

I went on a phase myself trying out supplements and vitamins, however this was also along with my regular medication as without my medication I go status immediately. After 6 months of trying it and logging everything, the only thing that helped was the Atkins Diet, but even that started to fade off.

I even have a friend that insists that the medication manufacturers are trying to kill people and insists on homeopathic remedies. Even this in theory wouldn't work, as most of them are in a dilution ratio that is lower than the amount of arsenic allowed in drinking water, at a rate of 6X which is 0.000001% and no clinical evidence to back it up or any regulations, I think I'll go the safe way and stick with FDA regulated medications.

Vitamin C

Markymark

Vitamin C is just now being discovered as a very important piece of the nervous system puzzle. It is on the brink of being used in clinical studies across the nation for its ability to prevent convulsive seizures. I give it to my daughter every morning in liquid form. Her seizure activity went from 1 grand mal every 3-5 days, to 1 every 15-20 days.

One of the most powerful treatments for herpes is actually Oil of Oregano, clove oil and turmeric. Vitamin C has been shown to help as well. New Chapter makes a product called supercritical antioxidants. You can get it cheap on Amazon. But if there was only one thing you could choose to treat herpes, I would have to say oil of oregano. I absolutely love the Gaia brand. Also cheaper on Amazon than say, Whole Foods. That stuff is a very powerful anti viral & antibiotic. I use it to cure a LOT of ailments including the common cold. It also kills Lyme disease. You can google it! Good luck.

Interestingly enough, one aspect of Vitamin C that seems related to its potential anti-convulsive properties is the role it plays in synthesizing progesterone in the body. (Progesterone can have a neuroprotective effect, and low levels of progesterone are a factor in catamenial epilepsy).

That is so interesting you mention that. There is a neurologist in Boston that is treating epileptics with a special progesterone cream. I didn't know that about Vitamin C. Well, good to know!

Hi Markymark,

I know everyone is different when it comes to taking vitamins and prescription meds but I have found taking Vitamin C twice a day along with taking zinc twice a day has reduced my seizures. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom