Carnival Rides and Absence Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Teri

New
Reaction score
Hi,

My daughter was just diagnosed with Absencse Seizures - I will be seeing the neurologist for treatment on Monday. They have become worse from Thanksgiving ( when I noticed them) to now. She has about 6 a day. Have any of your doctor's limited your children from going on the "kids" rides at carnivals? I am asking b/c we have one to go to this weekend and if it is a risk I will keep her home.

Don't know about the carnival rides, but I do know this. There is an iMax Theatre down in Galvaston that had a theatre that involved motion of the seats as well as the 3-D effects. There was a sign posted outside that said that people with epilepsy shouldn't go in this particular movie. Well, I thought "My seizures aren't THAT bad" and went on in. About a quarter of the way through, I had a seizure. All that bumping around, up/down and back/forth!
If I am on the verge of a seizure, going over a bumpy road in a car or on a motorcycle will make me pass out with a seizure.
So carnival rides? Maybe!

Hi Teri! Welcome to CWE. This is a great group of informative people. :) So feel free to ask questions, chime in , or just vent when needed. As for carnival rides....honestly, if you look at half of them, they have signs that people with seizures should not ride. That was even on a teacup ride I saw once. As well as the more obvious roller coasters. Basically, I dont go to amusements or carnivals anymore...it tends to be too frustrating....or if I go, I get to be the "stuff watcher".

Hi Teri

Welcome to CWE

I am not in a position to be able to advise you, but I can tell you about my own experiences. I have a large amount of absence seizures every day (approx 50) and have done for over 20 years. I ride all theme park and fairground rides and have never been advised against it. I think it is a personal decision you have to make.

Thank you all for the great advice and welcome. The carnival is at her school and we attended tonight for about an hour. She did fine on the kid rides. She had one episode -but not while riding. I don't want to limit her - but I also have some fear. I think I will feel better after we see the neurologist on Monday.

Hi Teri, welcome to the forum. :hello:

When my wife experienced absense seizures, they would mostly be triggered by excited states. For example, when she would start telling a story, she would get more excited as she told the story - the cadence of her speech getting progrssively faster - until the absense would hit.

I would suggest keeping a close eye on her and try to make sure she doesn't get overstimulated.

:hello: Welcome Teri! I know it can be a scary thing when this first starts happening to one of our children. My son's doctors have only mentioned avoiding thrill rides like roller coasters, being cautious around water and fire, and no cooking. I do think it would be wise to avoid over-stimulation, but I would have a hard time restricting my son on kiddie rides. Use your judgment. As her mother, you know her best and should know what she can and can't handle at this point.

Now that you mention it... Sometimes motion that feels strange in my head brings on these so called "absence seizures" (I always called 'em staring spells, go figure). So, could there be a link between this and seeing the Dark Knight at the iMax with really groovy moving seats? Absolutely.

I have always found tiredness to be my biggest trigger of absences, as they are worst when I first wake up and in the late evenings.

Because I have quite a lot of absences throughout the course of a day it is very difficult to work out the trigger each time.

Welcome to CWE:hello:

I am new here too and have a four-year old daughter that was recently diagnosed with absence seizures. Her doctor never mentioned avoiding carnival rides either, but I have read some interesting things about people who have epilepsy and are photosensitive...flashing lights caused by the sun or strobe lights, flourescent lights can trigger seizures...Maybe this is related??? I've also read that being overly excited can be a trigger as well...Check out the book Treating Epilepsy Naturally!

Absence seizures are really short most of the times and don't often cause too much trouble for people. I had them when I was little and it didn't stop me from doing a whole lot. She could also have someone with her.
I think if you feel that she might be in danger or not be able to respond to something then it might be better to not go on any rides. It might be a good idea to call the doctor and ask more questions as well..
If she is photosensative then that might be something to have concern about since most carnival rides or parks have lots of them. Otherwise have fun and enjoy the event. Please take care-

Crystal and her guide Umbro

My (special needs) son just loves theme parcs and carnivals, especially things like roller coasters and swing ships. He has no fear at all, he just enjoys the feeling and the kick. He never has had seizures or increased epilepsy by this. Fortunally because I would really regret to keep him from the few things he can do and really loves.

Last edited:
My daughter has absence seizures and I allow her to go on park rides. I have found that what works the best is to let her go on a few. Make her take a break for 10-15 minutes and then go again if she wants. She doesn't like any of the roller coaster type rides, so she tends to stick with the smaller kids rides too.

Back
Top Bottom