catamenial epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jonsey

New
Reaction score
Good morning from Wales

Im looking for some advice on what i should ask Amys gp for when investigating catamenial epilepsy .

I have asked for a hormone test which was dismissed , but not for long . Hopefully our next appoiontment with a competent gp will heed my request .

I can't say much for catamenial epilepsy but if your request is dismissed I would ask why. There may (or may not) be a valid reason it was dismissed.

All I can say is document, document, document! It has taken me 3 years for my neuro to even consider this recomendation that this could even be considered. I think because they just don't know enough about it yet. How it all works together. How it can casue triggers and all of that. I Myself am looking at going to a level 4 center like Mayo or the Eplilepsy Center in Tampa to see if I can get some more answers. My Neuro won't even put me in for an extended EEG like I ask for during my period I think this would help him to pinpoint seizure activity to help me and I am refused.Crazy....
Dont give up

Tina

If it is Catamenial Epilepsy, then how would it be treated differently than epilepsy without a determinable cause? I have catamenial epilepsy, and I'm on 3 meds and just expect breakthrough seizures in the middle of the month and when I have my period.

Thank you again Nakamova, these links are just what i needed.

Hi Krista2882, when i was explaining to Amys gp (whom i have never met before ) His attitude was , that she will have to live with the breakthroughs , take extra care when you are vunruable . I say NO , Why should you, I dont want Amy worrying unnecessary towards the end of her cycle . The longest shes been seziure free is eight months, with no breakthroughs . This can happen again im sure . Today shelia said that maybe we could introduce a rescue med. Im so angry that only because i have been more vocal and got a gp involved, Amy is not just a NHS number on a file .

Tinasingergirl - Never going to give up , Im so determined im scareing myself (ha ha)

Eplieric - He dismissed because it was not his field of expertise , He should of held his hands up and arranged a new appointment sooner , rather upset Amy with negative feed back .

Fingers crossed for wednesday i will let you no the outcome

Bye for now from a very cold Wales

Krista-A rescue med? which one and how often would you take it the last time i saw my neuro he wanted to put me on clonopin and after looking it up i was unsure about it since he wanted to put me on a 2 week on 2 week off rotation. I am wondering how that would help? I still need to be able to work.....

Tina

Krista-A rescue med? which one and how often would you take it the last time i saw my neuro he wanted to put me on clonopin and after looking it up i was unsure about it since he wanted to put me on a 2 week on 2 week off rotation. I am wondering how that would help? I still need to be able to work.....

Tina

lol I don't know. I'm asking the OP what a rescue med is.

Morning all

Happy Easter. I beleive that the rescue med is taken for the seven days when your period is due . Shelia (Amys epilepsy nurse ). did mention a drug but that was over the phone , i will no more after our visit.

I will keep you posted

Back
Top Bottom