Catamenial Epilepsy...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nutella

New
Reaction score
Hello :hello:

I need some help. Currently I am on Lamotrigine and Tegretol. I also take Lorazepam when I have 3 or more seizures. I also take it on my ovulation days and days before and during my period. As I have cluster seizures.

This question is more for the ladies really :oops: most of my cluster seizures happen around ovulation and PMS time during those 10 days or so I can have up to 30 seizures. I tried Depo-Provera for a year and it didn't help.

I was wondering if I was to take combined contraceptive pill (I know that Tegretol would affect it) but if I took it as a medication type to prevent seizures rather than as a birth control form and have a backup birth control method such as condom. :ponder: have any of you used the combined contraceptive pill sort of like an antiepileptic drug?

I don't really know how much help I can give you on this one because since I've had epilepsy I've never had a period at the age of 27.

The only birth control med I had been on was Depo-Provera along with several other epilepsy meds through the years. The last ones I took with it were Depakote, Tegretol, Keppra and Lamictal. I had some spotting while I was on the Depo-Provera but never an actual period. I was still having seizures while I was taking it but they were spread out through the month pretty much like they are now.

I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago when I was 35. I decided that I didn't want to have children because I was afraid that things might happen to the baby or I'd have any problems if I'd have to go off of any of my meds or having seizures while I was pregnant. Things like this don't happen to everyone so don't think it could happen to you.

Even now since I've had the hysterectomy I'm still having seizures and I am taking meds. Some months the seizures are spread out and some months they might come in clusters.

It would be a good idea to have your neuro and gyno talk to each other to make sure a certain epilepsy med would interact with any type of birth control pill that you would take. My drs did this.

I know there are many women on here who have said that they have many/most of their seizures around the time that they are having their period.

Last edited:
Thank you valeriedl. I'm sorry to hear you are still having so many seizures. I am also having so many clusters. I tried Depo-Provera in hope it would help but I had so many side effects that I had to come off it. When I was on Depo I used to have about 16 to 20 seizures at most every month but since I've been off it I am having 30+ so I believe it did help somewhat. That is why I feel like if I take combined pill (as Depo is not combined birth control) that I might see some difference. And yes I think my seizures are always around ovulation and period.

I am also afraid of having children I am going to be 27 in 5 days. I am kind of putting that thought on a hold at the moment I am trying to not think about the future of having children and all of that but sometimes it gets me down.

Nutella,

I have TLE and my seizures started when I was 22 years of age. I married and had two healthy, happy children while taking Dilantin. It was after the birth of my 2nd child that my seizures went haywire. Before that, I experienced catamenial seizures, so could sort of plan around "that time". I have never tried Depo-Provera because back in my day the silly docs said I couldn't take BC and said I needed an IUD instead. But my body said "no way" to that!
Now that I have gone thru menopause, unfortunately, I still suffer seizures once in a while.

Here is a good website about women's issues and E:
http://www.epilepsy.com/information/women/all-women/contraception
http://www.epilepsy.com/information/women/all-women/hormones-and-epilepsy

Back
Top Bottom