Complex Partial Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kkmbear

New
Reaction score
Hello, My daughter has complex partial seizures. She was diagnosised about three years ago with abnormal EEG's but this last year the seizures have been identified as complex partial seizures. Because of them she has also been diagnosed with cognitive dysfunction and headaches. She has tried Neurontin, Keppra, Lamictal, Vimpat and Zonegran. The seizures are still not under control and the doctor says she is a candidate for an implant. I need to do more research on that. Her Doctor recommended that we get in touch with the North Texas Epilepsy Foundation. She got married last month to a very caring, patient young man. They have to live with us due to the amount of care she needs sometimes. It has changed her life completely. She is a very intelligent young lady but the seizures reduce her to about a four year old level at times. She can not comprehend normal conversations at times and speaks ina higher pitch voice. At times she gets very angry which is completely out of character for her. She gets agitated easily and cries very easily. She plays with her fingers or clothes and her whole countenance changes. We tried ativan a few weeks ago to try to stop the constant seizures but it didn't work this time. I heard of diet helping sometimes...her Doctor said to try the Atkins diet for a short time. This is the strangest kind of seizures! She has had Mri's and they can find no cause for why she is having them. She has also had a MRA. Has anyone experienced this kind of seizure to this degree of it being debilitating? Thanks for reading such a long post.

Welcome kkmbear

Good to have you here. The members here are fantastic in their support for each other. We seem to have a lot of parents joining, you might want to check out the "nursery" on this site to read about other parents' experiences. No need to double post in other rooms though.

I do know how hard it can be to try & find something to control ones seizures. I was born with mine & will be 50 in a few days and I still have between 4 & about 25 a week (though not usually that many).

When you mentioned that your daughter is considering an "implant" did you mean a vagas nerve stimulator? If so you might want to check out Birdbombs (a member here) site as well specifically focusing on the VNS http://www.vnsmessageboard.com/ .

Welcome again & hope this helps you out a bit.

Hello kkmbear!

I can only imagine how hard it is to have to take care of your daughter. She probably is fighting for more independence as well and knowing she still needs some extra care. She is lucky to have your support! Keep coming here whenever you need anything!! For now, big hugs to you and your family:hello:

Hi kkmbearm welcome!

Some of the cognitive and mood issues your daughter has experienced may be due to the meds, and if the seizures originate near the temporal lobe or hippocampus they may also show up as mood changes. It can be tough not to know why the seizures started, but unfortunately that's not unusual -- over 50% of seizure disorders are of unknown origin. But there can be both primary causes and secondary causes, and it's possible that diet may be playing a role. For more info about a dietary approaches (and other alternative approaches), you can start here:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/index.php?p=alternative-treatments

Best,
Nakamova

Hi and Welcome, I was diagnosed with Complex Partials 2 years ago after a life time of undiagnosed seizures. If I'm right most complex partials originate in the temporal lobes and as Nakamova said near the Hippocampus the amygdala is near there also and is responsible for feelings especially anger its part of the primitive brain and was a vital part of fight or flight. My husband had described me as angry for some time but I was unaware of my mood changes. The odd behavior is most likely happening during the seizure. I would talk about things that had nothing to do with what we were doing at the time. Playing with cloths hair etc are also part of the seizure - automatism's. I was one of those very few fortunate that found the cause.I had a lesion in the temporal lobe very close to the hippocampus. I had it along with the hippocampus and amygdala and a pretty large portion of brain removed one year ago and have been seizure free since. If they do return I will be a good candidate for the newer implant the RNS. Living with epilepsy can be a touch road but we all have some type of cross to bear and as she has a loving husband and involved mom she'll be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom