concerned mom

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

formyson

New
Reaction score
My son had been having incidents in the mornings after waking up sometimes he would get up and his legs would give out on him and he would fall he would just get back up and sometimes it would happen just once or tiwce and hed be fine. We took him to see his dr and she referred him to a neurologist and they diagnosed him with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy on September 26 they put him on Keppra1-500mg 2x a day. He had a full blown grand mal seizure October 9 they uped his keppra to 2-500 mg 2x a day. He has never had a seizure before and hes 16. He has been so tired hes not been able yto go to school some days. Well he had another grand mal seizure this past Friday October 17 on a filed trip at school. Has my son been misdiagnosed and now that theyve put him on keppra his now having seizures but nevrr has before this medicine. My son is not himsef and it hasnt even been a month. Ee cant tlk to him because he snaps at us and he waks round ike a zombie if he doesnt sleep the day away. Does anybody know anythng that can help?? Alsothey suggested vitamin b6 for the fatigue but i just dont understand why he went from normal to full blown seizures

formyson

Sorry to hear about your son, you need to first tell the doctor about the tiredness and not being able to attend school. It takes awhile for the system to become used to the drugs and in a month you should be able to start to pick up on things - side effects - like him snapping at you. Have you ever heard of keppra rage. Keppra works for some but I am not one who is in favor of it, when I was put on it I was like a lunatic. so yes go and tell your doctor NOW. Yes you so get his bloods done and see if he need supplements such as B6, B12 ect. they may help the fatigue. No one will understand why he went from normal as you say to full blown seizure, it could be that he is unlucky and things are just starting to come too the forefront. There are so many reasons, your best solution is the doctor/neurologist. You need to keep a diary of the date and time of all seizures and anything which you think might be a trigger or have an effect.

Thank u again.. i guess since its only been not quite a month and everything has happened all at once so quickly.goin from being diagnosed to with barely any signs of seizures to full blown grand mal seizures is very scary. Ive never seen anyone go thru this or even know anyone. Ive let his teachers close family and close friends know whats goin on and told themwhat to do if it happens in front of them. He cant be left alone now since he has vomited very severely after he stops jerking but hes still unconscious so we have to roll him over on his side. He is in JR ROTC Airforce in high school and he usually does color quard on Friday nights for the football games but he has stepped down because hes afraid of having a seizure on the field. I feel so bad for him and others because i never knew much about it but to see my son go through it breaks my heart and know others are goin though this too is ruff. I hope once he gets used to the meds and time goes on it gets better

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

Handing the medicine gets better. I was diagnosed at 16. Depakote knocked me out. Constant eating and 16 hours of sleep a night. Keppra was better. Never had a tonic clonic seizure until my 20s. It just happened out of nowhere. Keep on pushing and encourage him not to let it change his life too much. It will begin to improve, especially after the walking zombie phase. :)

Formyson,
Welcome to CWE. The teen years are hard enough and them to add an E diagnosis .. My daughter is 16 with JME. Diagnosed 2.5 years ago. She is on a different med - lamotrigene. I am glad you found CWE - it has been a wonderful place of support. I wish you and your the best.

Damn being a teen with seizures :(.

The side effects of the medication should get better but if it doesn't switch medication! There's something called kepprage so he could be moody due to the medication? He has also been through some huge events recently so he's likely grieving, feeling depressed, angry, confused etc.

Your neurologist and doctors can help you get started on finding a reason why. Run all the typical tests like EGG, sleep deprived EGG, MRI etc.

Good luck!

:hugs:

Last edited:
My son was diaganosed with the same JME at 15. He will be 17 in Jan. He was on Keppra for almost 2 years. He is paranoid, anxiety, and rage. I just asked the dr. to change med and he said Depakote, dr decided that it will work best for him. If your son cannot tolerate the Keppra change it immediatlely. He may be suffering in silence in his head due to these side effects. "Kepprage". I am currentely transitioning him off Keppra to Depakote. he went from an honor student to failing and going to summer school two years in a row. I'm sorry to tell you all this, but Keppra and teenage years do not mix well!

you should try taking valium in your teen year.s There were exactly 6 drugs out when I was in school not all the drugs there are today.Mysoline make u mean Depakene turned me into a with. I was 2 went through school having seizures.

Back
Top Bottom