Dilantin side effects

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Have been using dilantin sine I was 13, currently i am 51. From reading a few of the posts I can related to a number of them. I also go to the dentist every 3 months, my gums have gotten better. Around 3 years ago I had my gall bladder removed and all the symptoms associated with past gall bladder attacks disappeared I even quit smoking, but just a couple of days ago two symptoms came back, nausea and abdominal pain. Worse in the morning and and by mid to late afternoon are gone.

dilatin 100mg three times a day

phenobarbital 15 mg twice a day

Anyone suffering from nausea and abdominal pain as well?:rock:

I have in the past , but one day it just disappeared, until I tried to go off of dilantin, then it was back, this dilantin really is nasty on our bodies, what are we to do?

I hate dilantin, I got toxic on that at one point my blood levels were 44, it made me so sick, never had a stomach problem, at least I don't think so, just really sick and I also was out of mind, I have to stay away from that stuff. Hope you get some answers to your problem.

thanks for the feedback!

I had these same problems prior to having my gall bladder removed, back in 2009, and just this week they have reappeared out of the blue. I thought they where related to the gall bladder. My family doctor once told me they where the side effects of the dilantin and or phenobarbital. I guess I just would like to know either way and not have to guess about it:ponder:

Did they test you for your blood levels? Dilantin can be awful, like I said they check your levels, normal is between 10-20. My first level was 22 and just that little bit made me so sick, than they recheck and I was 44, which was the worst I ever felt in my life. It took a while for that to get out of my symptom. I was on keppra plus the gabapentin than I felt 100% but than they took me off the keppra and said I was bi-polar, soooooo they stopped that one and put me on gabapentin and vimpat, but I had some pretty bad seizures last weekend, so they up my dose on vimpat, so now I hope and keep my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom