Disaster Prep...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Katie

New
Reaction score
So, I experienced being home alone the first time during a big shaker here in CA. I was a lot more scared than I thought I'd be!

But it got me wondering what, if anything, do you guys do for disaster prep? Do you have an extra supply of seizure meds safely stored?

I keep two days of meds in my purse. This way if I end up somewhere that I may have to spend the night I've got at least some meds on me. My purse is one of the first things I get when I leave the house so I normally have it with me.

I've got a week long pill case that I've got my meds in for that week. It's on the coffee table out in the open so it would be easy to grab if I needed to leave the house quickly.

I keep all of my epilepsy meds in the same place. They are in a bag in the cupboard we keep all the medicine in. If need be I can just grab the whole bag and run out of the house in a hurry.

emergency preparedness

a very important subject you brought up here and one we all need to address very seriously. Especially since we or our loved ones are dependent on our meds for seizure control I like the idea of having 2 days supply handy in your purse at all times. I usully just have that days since I just have a travel am/pm box that travels with me in my purse but i have another box that could easily be used for the extra days supply for emergecy use. My parents are currently taking an how to respond to an emergency class at their church and they are focus is on emergency prep for the community as well as themselves, food, shelter, first aid, etc... since there have been so many earth quakes on the west coast lately this has been quite the topic in their small community where they live (Squimm/Port Angeles WA)

Tina

You may also consider keeping a day or two's pills at a friend or family member's house too. I never thought of doing this.

Where I live we rarely have any sort of disasters. I think the worst we've had was a tornado and that was over 25 years ago. There is flooding around here but we don't live anywhere near water so it's never effected us. We did have our water line break once and flooded the basement, luckily didn't do anything to any other part of the house. I don't think I even thought anything about getting my meds then, I was more worried about stopping the water.

I think if something were to happen and you would lose your meds the dr could call you in new ones. But who knows how long it would take to get them from the pharmacy?

Thanks all! We're still having earthquakes. They're tiny ones. But I did wonder that besides food/water, etc., my seizure meds are probably the most important item. I should keep them in my purse, too. I'll definitely do that. I also like the idea of keeping everything in a bag so it's just one quick thing to grab.

Like valerie said, I have a week long med pill box and keep the daily pill container in my purse, but the week-long pill box is on my kitchen cabinet ready to grab. It is beside my big container with all my actual prescription bottles and my diabetic supplies, also. Those weekly pill boxes that are labeled am, noon, pm, one can buy at the local Walgreens.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ez...ication-organizer-tray/ID=prod6145638-product

I keep my e-meds in my purse too. And I tend to have plenty extra, since my insurance requires me to order 3-months worth at a time. In case the power goes out, I know where the flashlights and candles are, and I have a landline with a back-up corded phone to plug in if necessary.

But I live in a fairly safe place all things considered, so there are probably other kinds of disaster prep I'm ignorant of.

I keep a weeks worth of meds at my friends house (within walking distance) and a month's worth down at my mom's place in the SF bay area (142 miles away). The month's worth is probably overkill since my provider has a pharmacy about ten minutes from where she lives but better safe than sorry.

In South Africa we have poverty, AIDS, and bad internet. In exchange, we have absolutely no natural disasters to speak of. There has to be a pay off somewhere down the line. When I hear 'disaster prep' the only thing that comes to mind is pre-apocalyptic store trashing.

I keep three days worth in my purse - completely paranoid about being stuck away from home without something. My 1 week AM/PM holder is in a drawer upstairs along with the larger stock, but it probably be good to keep a bottle downstairs just in case. I figure three days would probably get me through. We have earthquakes, but not all that often (on a larger scale where I'd have to worry about this).

I've got medicine in my backpack that I take everywhere. All my medicine isn't far from my emergency bag which is an Alice Pack loaded with clothes, ammo, and other things I may need from a tornado to a zombie apocalypse.

I never thought of doing anything like that- perhaps I should start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom