Does keppra cause loss of taste?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kellymel

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've started to use antiepileptic drugs just 40 days ago. I used to take tegretol (300mg/day). However, 15 days ago my liver enzymes raised too much due to a viral infection, and my neuro advised me to stop taking tegretol and start to keppra. Because as you may know keppra does not use liver enzymes but kidneys. 2 days later, my infection doctor started me to an antibiotic (doxiciclin, 200mg day - IMPORTANT NOTE: I do not think that doxiciclin is the reason of the loss of taste because my loss of taste started 2 days before I took doxiciclin)

The problem is since I started to take Keppra I cannot taste the salty and sweety tastes even a little. I can taste %50 of sour and bitter tastes.
This problem started just after I take the first pill of Keppra. Is it possible that Keppra may cause such a problem even after the first doze? I will be really glad if anyone who have had the same problem or knows anything about it, could give me some information. Thanks in advance!

I recently started 1000 mg Keppra a few weeks ago & have had a huge loss of appetite since.

Most food appears unappealing & bland to me now, which could have something to do with to a loss of taste now that I think about it (I tend to be fairly unobservant when it comes to changes in my body).

I did notice that I began noticing side effects rather quickly after starting Keppra & I'm sure it depends on what dosge you're taking as well...

That's certainly a bummer........I'm starting Keppra this week and I LOVE my food. Will pay close attention. I will say that my neurologist said Keppra was "weight neutral" and that any side effects pass quickly. Perhaps this is not a permanent thing.

I've been taking 3000 mgs. of Keppra for about 15 years now, but I haven't really noticed a change in taste or weight since starting it years ago. But I take other meds that do alter my taste and weight, Topamax being one of them.

Topamax is another AED and can cause weight loss for some, plus it's nickname is Dopemax because it is known to make folks very forgetful and spacey. When I first took it years ago, I lost 25 lbs. while taking it within 6-8 months . I don't remember the dosage I was on back then. Now I only take 200 mgs. of it.

Thanks everybody for all your answers and comments.

And cawhitern, how was your first week with Keppra? Did you feel any side effects? My loss of taste still keeps going :S . Seems that I will have to visit my neurologist this week...

That's certainly a bummer........I'm starting Keppra this week and I LOVE my food. Will pay close attention. I will say that my neurologist said Keppra was "weight neutral" and that any side effects pass quickly. Perhaps this is not a permanent thing.

It's not listed in any of the better meds sites in either the common or rare side effects (though loss of appetite is), but there's 1 post about it on epilepsy.com and a shonky aggregate site lists it as 0.28% of the keppra users that it could find who reported effects on the net.

It doesn't take into account any other meds they might have been using, or their actual health situation.

That doesn't mean it isn't causing it for you, just it seems very rare- but then, everyone's different..

kellymel,

I'm happy to report that aside from being a little more tired (I think) I really haven't noticed any side effects and no change to my sense of taste. I just increased to 1000 mg a couple of days ago so it's still early.
How are you doing?

Cindy

No taste difference for me. Just feeling tired all the time. Been on Keppra for 4 years

Back
Top Bottom