EEG Test

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rose1902

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Yesterday I had a sleep deprived EEG test to check for seizures, and I wondered if what I experienced was normal or abnormal.. During the strobe light portion of the test, I was okay at first, but then my eyelids started fluttering/twitching even after the lights stopped flashing. I had no control over this. I also felt like I was going to pass out, but it was as if I couldn't even talk to tell the technician that I was having difficulties. Thankfully the strobe light portion of the test was over then. The part of the test where I had to breathe faster and deeper gave me a bad headache towards the end. The headache didn't last long after that, but I wondered if that was normal. Have any of you had similar reactions to the strobe test and the breathing test? I will be getting the results in less than a week, but I thought I'd ask on here in the meantime. Thanks in advance to any of you who respond.

I am photosensitive and end up going into a full blown tonic-clonic but the seizure starts with those exact symptoms.

Did you feel anything else during the tests? Your reaction to the hyperventilation was very normal- could be a seizure? : ) Has your neurologist discussed any sort of medications or anything?

- Seiz : )

It's fairly normal to get a headache after hyperventilating, so that doesn't necessarily point one way or another in terms of diagnosis. The tests are meant to provoke a seizure and/or to see if you are sensitive to any particular stimuli. So as unpleasant as it must have been, the fact that you reacted is useful information for the neurologist. Something might have shown up on the EEG during those moments when you were experiencing discomfort, but even if nothing registered, it's worth mentioning how you felt to your neurologist when you see her/him.

Waiting is so difficult, isn't it? Results seem to take forever.
However, a week is impressive!
It really does sound like you had a reaction to the stimuli. I really hope the brain waves were registering that activity so they can get the ball rolling with you quickly!
Having answers is half the battle.
Hang in there and let us know the results!

Back
Top Bottom