Epilepsy and Acupuncture

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LoveLife

New
Reaction score
Has anyone had good results of treating themselves with Accupuncture for epileptic seizures.

I only have grand mal seizures when I am stressed out and lack sleep. Is there a accuputure treatment for it?

I"ve used acupuncture for about 2 or 3 years a while back. I did find it relaxing but & I'm sure that lessened the seizures but I haven't seen any direct results of it helping my epilepsy.

I have since been trained as an acupressurist and the teacher showed me a point that is supposed to help seizures but it has not worked on me though someone else on this site told me it worked on them once.

I am trying to use Accupunture to see whether it has any effect, but at the same time, I am reading on drugs that are used in India to control epilepsy, and one of them is a herbal extract called "Bacopa Monnieri". Has anyone had good results with this.

Do be careful with that. The supposed doses meant to help epilepsy can be dangerous.

It has antioxidant properties, reducing oxidation of fats in the bloodstream.[5] However, anti-epilepsy properties seem to be in very high toxic and near lethal doses, so it's only used—at much lower non-toxic dosage—as an additive to regular epilepsy medication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacopa_monnieri

Have you considered Neurofeedback?

I know there's not enough proof that it helps epilepsy to get it covered by medical in Canada or the US but more than 1 person here has claimed to have good results.

Dear LL, acupuncture needs time and patience. Do not expect quick response and secondly see if ur acupuncturist is good otherwise results may even be reverse.

Thanks,
The Accupunturist has quite a bit of experience, but she is saying that its gonna take 1-1.5 years of roughly 150 sessions to cure the epilepsy.

My Epilepsy is Juvenile Epilepsy Disorder, and I dont think thats curable without medications, but she is insisting that she can cure it.

Anyhow, I find it hard to believe, but I was wondering whether anybody has had good experience with accupuncture in terms of lessening the frequency of seizures.

Dear LL, acupuncture needs time and patience. Do not expect quick response and secondly see if ur acupuncturist is good otherwise results may even be reverse.

I went for acupuncture for a total of about 5 years worth of treatments with a break of about 9 months -a year in between that.

If there was any change in my seizures it was so little that I wasn't really sure it was there.

I have to admit I did enjoy the treatments but looking at where I documented my seizures there really isn't much change.

I don't know if accupunture works to help with seizures, it did work for me to stop smoking when all the meds and stuff did not.I think I would get a second opinion and see what they say.Like the meds most of us take here what works for one might not for others. good luck

Back
Top Bottom