Epilepsy and Bipolar

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

joan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Anyone dealing with both? Yes, my kids are mild bipolar. A lovely nuance of JME! I am stuck in stupid right now as I do not want to add any meds. Most meds Ive researched dont even look good. Anyone doing anything positive with diet and nutrients? OIY* They are at a cognitive therapist but I am being pushed to pick a med...

Sure I get rid of seizures with MAD, now add this... A lil less interesting a life is in order!

I hope you are all having a good day*
joan*

My heart does go out to you.

Sorry I don't know of any ways to control bipolar disorder other than medications but I would highly suggest researching neurofeedback. I would think that might be of assistance.

Also, I have known a couple of people with bipolar disorder & from my friends behaviour, it looked like one of the greatest challenges was that when they were manic they felt so good hence they were "sure" they didn't need to take their medications or use any sort of therapy. One friend never took her meds because if she wasn't sure she didn't need them then she was just so down she didn't care for anything anymore.

Hopefully, whatever therapies your kids use you can get them in the habit of using them regardless of how they feel.

Lamictal is prescribed for bipolar as well as epilepsy, so if you have to pick a med, that might be the one worth trying.

Lamictal is prescribed for bipolar as well as epilepsy,

As is Topomax, Trileptal, Depakote, Klonopin, Tegretol, Valproic Acid.

I was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder after trying numerous anti-depressants that didn't do a thing for me when I was very, very depressed. Then the dr. put me on an anti-psychotic (yes they use those drugs for bi-polar) and I ended up with Type 1 diabetes as an adult. So in addition to epilepsy, bi-polar, thyroid and other problems, I also have diabetes and have to check my glucose 5-6 times a day and give myself insulin injections with every snack or meal. :(
So beware of anti-psychotics.

Now I take Keppra for seizures and Topomax + Zoloft for bi-polar.

Thank you all! xoxoxo

Thats the thing. My kids rare to have meltdowns and now that we know, we can avoid many of them. They seem mild "regularly" without meds soooo Im trying not to add meds to the mix. Plus they say they dont even understand bipolar and all this bs. excuse my french! so how do I "know" what they need? oiy* If on a scale of 1 - 10, they a 2-3 normally and a 7 when melting down. I dont want to make them zombies...

Phillip 21, on lamictal for his grand mals. He takes 400 XT once a day. Im not sure they will give him more lamictal for the bipolar?

Jenna still on MAD and seizurefree. Shes still on 500 keppra. How do I know the 500 keepra isnt adding to this. I HATE MEDS!!!

I thought maybe natural lithium would be a first choice. But E Dr said no, it can cause seizures. So Im stuck in stupid right now. They both in cognitive therapy. So Im researching and getting alot of help. I find Orthomolecular medicine and Alpha Lipoic Acid. Thats where Im NOW hoping to find help.

I am so sorry we all had to meet under such rough circumstances but I am so glad to have met you all*

I hope your day goes well,
joan*

Huh, if trileptal is prescribed for bipolar (which I haven't been diagnosed with) it sure hasn't helped my moods. I'm stressed, angry, nervous, and who knows what more. Oh well, life is sometimes difficult. Sorry to hijack thread.

Welcome to the forum, Joan!

It may be the meds. My son is pretty compliant/cooperative but as we increased Depakote, he became more uncooperative and had some episodes of rage. I have never been called to pick him up from school and then twice in about 5 days the school had me come get him due to his terrible behaviors. I decreased the dose of Depakote. He is now sweet again. I hate meds!

You can look into Pfeiffer Treatment Center (Warrenville, IL)for the bipolar. I took my sons there for ADD type behaviors and within 3 days of starting the high dose of vitamins and minerals he became a more focused, sweeter guy. My son with autism also went there. He had benefits as well...but not the WOW! that I saw with my neurotypical son.

A good thing to do is to avoid artificial colors and flavors as well. Once I took these out of my son's diet he did not have post-candy meltdowns. He can have sugar, but not corn syrup (also causes nasty behaviors).

Joan,

I also have epilepsy, partial complex, as well as Bi Polar type II. I take Keppra and Primidone for my epilepsy. To control my Bi Polar II, I am on Lamictal as a mood stabilizer and Celexa to control the depression side of it. I had tried therapy and dietary changes in the past only to loose control more. It is a struggle to control both, but it is possible. I know that even now, I am in the early stages of controlling the Bi Polar. I have been seizure free for 11 years and plan on keeping it that way. Ask your doctor about other seizure medications that are also used to treat epilepsy. They may want to use those in place or with your current medication.

Keppra made me angrier than I have ever been in my life- so maybe that is half the problem?????

Hootie is so right. Look to everything in the current diet and if not natural, eliminate it and test the waters and keep food diaries and if possible go organic.

I am no doc, just speaking from our own experience.

My Son has E (26) and has T/C and some. Bi Polar runs rampant in our family so always watching him for any signs, because since taking the meds only (Depakine, valporic) have spotted some behaviors that mimic Bi Polar behaviors. I hate meds too…!

He in both therapy and NFB-therapy (brain training) are both are definitely helping him cope better. Sometimes we find it’s the stress of life that is truly the cause of odd behavior (his seizures are caused by emotional stress = a T/C seizure or sometimes plain odd behaviors, rage, impatience, lack of compassion). We openly talk about this ALL (i.e. is it meds (it is sometimes) or something up in his life he needs to address and face) and it does help. It’s great to hear your kids are getting therapy; you could also talk to the therapist about NFB-therapy?

My Son takes Omega 3 (and more supplements BUT with Bi Polar you have to be super careful with supplements). Couple of months into starting the E meds he was feeling depressed (my happy go lucky son) and that’s why we introduced it. Been taking it several years now alongside his meds and he says he feels the benefits. He said it lights the depression and some of the fog (zombie feeling), only he can know this.
Word of warning, only excellent quality, Omega 3 and ratio of EPA to DHA (the two omega-3 fatty acids) is important. NOT Omega 6 and certainly NOT 3/6 and 9 combination.

Back
Top Bottom