Extreme Pain After 1st Seizure :-(

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! What a valuable website community I have stumbled upon!

I want to introduce myself. I'm Rae, 28 years old, and just had my first seizure on 4/26/10. I must say it has been one of the worst experiences of my life. For more than one reason. I'm in an unbearable amount of pain and am continuing to lose sleep every single night. I wake up about 3am with an intense pain in my side and back. And have also been throwing up nearly every day. I think I am a pretty tough cookie but this is just too much. My family doc has been no help, and even went to the gastroentologist yesterday to help w/ the nausea. I was in the hospital for two days after my seizure as it was a Grand Mal and lasted for over 5 minutes. The still do not know what caused it. I had a gajillion tests ran and still feel like I have no answers.

Is it common to be in so much pain? What kind of doctor should I go to next?

Thank you so much for sharing, and I look forward to talking to you all!

Hello Rae!

I'm Rae too! I know what you mean by intense pain. Like you said, I too am a tough cookie, but my last seizure (yesterday. :( ) has left me in some pretty owie pain. so bad I couldnt even get out of bed yesterday to go pee. My hubby came home and helped me walk the 20 feet to the bathroom.

Have you seen a neurologist yet? do you know what triggered it? have they put you on any medication?

Hi RaeMarie --

Welcome to CWE!

I still remember my very first seizures. They were tonic-clonics (grand mals), I had one immediately followed by another, woke up in the hospital, and didn't have a clue what happened. And I was completely knocked out for a while.

The back gets pretty wrenched, so that may be part of what you're feeling. They may have done a spinal tap in the ER (to check for an infection like meningitis), which can also leave you sore. But if you think you may have pulled something or injured something internally, it's better to be safe than sorry. Go to your doctor or the ER to get checked out.

If the ER ruled out primary causes such as infection or a drug reaction, then the next step is to see a neurologist to get a handle on what's going on. They'll usually do EEGs and MRIs (if they haven't already), and recommend a course of treatment. If it's the very first time you've had a seizure, and your EEGs are negative, then sometimes the best course is to "wait and see". If the EEGs do show abnormal brainwave activity, then the docs will usually recommend a medication.

You may have a lot of questions of over the next few days, weeks, months... CWE is an excellent place to get info, so don't be shy about posting questions.

Best,
Nakamova

Hello Rae!

I'm Rae too! I know what you mean by intense pain. Like you said, I too am a tough cookie, but my last seizure (yesterday. :( ) has left me in some pretty owie pain. so bad I couldnt even get out of bed yesterday to go pee. My hubby came home and helped me walk the 20 feet to the bathroom.

Have you seen a neurologist yet? do you know what triggered it? have they put you on any medication?
Hi Rae!!! I have never met another Rae! Very kool. :)

Thank you so much for writing, I'm sorry you had such a bad seizure the other day. Has the pain subsided yet? What do you do for it? I really do know what you mean when you say you couldn't even get out of bed to go take a pee. What a nice hubby you have tho!

No Neurologist yet, next week. I think it's b/c of anxiety, depression, getting off of meds... A combo of things. They can't find out. I think that's what makes it so frustrating.

Hope you are feeling better!

Hi RaeMarie --

Welcome to CWE!

I still remember my very first seizures. They were tonic-clonics (grand mals), I had one immediately followed by another, woke up in the hospital, and didn't have a clue what happened. And I was completely knocked out for a while.

The back gets pretty wrenched, so that may be part of what you're feeling. They may have done a spinal tap in the ER (to check for an infection like meningitis), which can also leave you sore. But if you think you may have pulled something or injured something internally, it's better to be safe than sorry. Go to your doctor or the ER to get checked out.

If the ER ruled out primary causes such as infection or a drug reaction, then the next step is to see a neurologist to get a handle on what's going on. They'll usually do EEGs and MRIs (if they haven't already), and recommend a course of treatment. If it's the very first time you've had a seizure, and your EEGs are negative, then sometimes the best course is to "wait and see". If the EEGs do show abnormal brainwave activity, then the docs will usually recommend a medication.

You may have a lot of questions of over the next few days, weeks, months... CWE is an excellent place to get info, so don't be shy about posting questions.

Best,
Nakamova
Hey Nakamova,

Are you sure you aren't a doc? You have given me more info than any single person while I was in the hospital! Thank you SO much. They did every single test, but don't think they could find anything. So, I think you said it best it's the whole, 'wait and see' thing. But I'm still driving to work every day. I don't know what they expect. Again, thank you for the info, I'm going to go get the back checked out asap. I never thought about that but that could definitely be what happened. I, like you, didn't remember what happened when I woke up in the hospital. So crazy.

Thanks again!

Hi RaeMarie,

Sorry you had such a rough time. I hope your dr. can find some answers for you soon.
In the meantime, please don't drive, especially since you had a TC seizure and they haven't figured out what caused it yet.

I had my first TC seizure years ago on my way out of the shower and ended up with 2nd and 3rd degree burns when I was 22 years old. I woke up in the hospital, not knowing what had happened. No prior seizures or accidents, no meningitis, no drugs, etc. Sometimes seizures just show up unexpectedly.

I hope you find answers soon.

Back
Top Bottom