A facade called existence

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dataminer

New
Reaction score
I'll just post the stuff I wrote in my profile here, fill in the rest as necessary... I'd do it now but I just had a wicked grand-mal about two hours ago. Call me Michael, I'm craptastic, single, I'm growing my hair out to donate it, shockingly it isn't grey based upon the hell I've endured. I have a degree, no life, no friends, no girl, no hope, no future. I think about suicide more than anything else in my world, immediately followed up by how far and how fast I've fallen.

I began having seizures at age 25 (I'll be 35 in Sept), had my first one at work, amidst a potent scent of formaldehyde from some new desks in a school I was doing IT in. First seizure doc said everybody is entitled to a single seizure, gave me dilantin. I took it, had my next seizure a few days later, while driving in the car, launched the car off a bridge into a river at speed, spent two weeks in ER.

I began having seizures, the grand-mal variety, about once every six months. Just long enough to lull me into a false sense of security, get my driver's license back, just in time to crash another car. I crashed four in total. Irresponsible I know, but after the first car accident my employer labeled me a liability (even though I could have worked out of the office) and offered to provide me two months of medical insurance and pay, provided I sign an agreement to never reveal the terms I was dismissed under... I didn't sign. But at the same time, to show my dedication to this company, I had months prior purchased a house in the town the company was in, and now I was stuck with a mortgage and utilities and many other things I could not afford.

So combined with the bills, and swollen gums thanks to the dilantin (not to mention $1200 in dental work as the dilantin rotted the teeth out of my skull), and the frequency of my seizures increasing, I went to another seizure doc. I've seen six or seven in total, had countless MRIs, EEGs, a Tesla-3 MRI, as well as three hospital observations. As of 2010 I had a temporal lobectemy (as I failed dilantin and lamictal, they removed a large part of my speech center, but I don't have a dominant hemisphere in my skull so I can still speak normally), seizures went away for about a year, then they came back. Once again they're becoming frequent again.

Throughout all this, an old employer was giving me work here and there, that's gone now, he replaced me as I'm not worth the effort... as I've repeatedly learned in this world. And throughout all this, got dumped by a girlfriend, then and a fiance, and all of my friends from college. My life has been rendered nothing more than an empty, meaningless existence.

It might be possible my seizures came from the verbal and physical violence I experienced/witnessed on a near constant basis by my father when I was growing up, I don't know. I can't even go to a therapist, as my parents are a bit narcissistic, and if I was to reveal the events that occurred when I was young, my father would deny it all at a minimum, and freak out more than likely and throw everything he's done for me back in my face, as he does quite often. And yes, I'm back to living with them, as I can only afford my mortgage if I don't live in my house.

But then for over a year prior to the start of the seizures, I took hydroxycut, and each time I got a feeling that was quite similar to the auras I'm now more than acclimated to. So maybe it was that, I don't know, all I know is that I'm broken.

And my house flooded four months ago, and that's another titanic dose of drama my world can't handle.

So you were doing IT work, what kind of work? Thought I would start with an off the wall question. Welcome to CWE and the benefits a conglomeration of people with similar experiences can offer.
Looks like you have been through a lot in almost 10 years. So how are you doing today? and how was yesterday?
Yeah I know these seem like simple questions to ask but sometimes we need to look at life in a small scale. You can't always look at life in a 3 day window but when you feel down and life has beaten you hard it is time to reduce the scale. Right now you are thinking he said 3 days, well how does the day after today look?
I have been dealing with this for 6 years and every time I turn around there is some other stupid pain in rear problem. At the same time I was dealing with seizures and medication side effects that were putting a halt at life my son was 3 and having many issues. In that one year span of my crap we had to fight for him and finally discovered he had Tourette's. There were many other issues going on and life became this living nightmare. All I could do was work on those 3 days.
Again, welcome to CWE.

Michael,
My dog has kept me alive. If it wasn't for my love for Sam, and his unconditional love for me I wouldn't be here. Though I am disabled w/ major depressive disorder, Sam gives me purpose. You may be thinking the responsibility of a dog is too much for you. IT'S NOT! Even when I'd rather stay in bed, all the time, Sam reminds me I have to take care of him and myself. I feed him and remember I need some nourishment too. I make sure he gets his daily meds...and me, mine too. I don't want to do anything but veg out but Sam needs to get outside. He lovingly (and sometimes annoyingly) prompts me to take care of him and myself. I'm single. I was shown a poor example of what a relationship is and didn't want to repeat the emotional and physical abuse and neglect. Screw the family and their ego, I dealt w/ the same. The only thing you can change is yourself. Don't get your hopes up and waste any more of your life thinking they might change. They won't, and will continue to use your problems against you and in their twisted mind to assure themselves that they have no problems. Get the professional help YOU need. Getting angry and getting it out is a safe situation is a HUGE healer. In a group setting, to hear others tell of their struggles strangely gives a sense of relief. We are NOT alone, we are not the only ones that have these feelings of despair. I see now that the depression I 've dealt w/ since 19 (now 50) truly has documented physical cause. I was just told this past Tuesday of negative EEG results. All my life I was blamed for everything that went wrong. Now I see those SOB's were blaming me for things I had no control over. Like blaming a diabetic because their body doesn't metabolize glucose properly. My seizures are of the the simple and partial type. But fu*%'d up brainwaves all have their negative results. Please, please, please get into some talk therapy. You will cry, but it will be a cleansing cry. The only way to get past the pain is to go through it. It is rough but it cannot be avoided. It must be done. You cannot continue to feel like you do now. You owe it to yourself to feel better. Go to an animal shelter in your area and just walk around. Think of those abandoned animals and how they must feel. Like you. But you can help them and in turn help yourself more than I could convince you of now. Volunteer at the shelter and see the joy you bring. You'll see that the joy you give comes back to you at least doubled. Tails will wag with the sight of you. You'll find sparks of joy in yourself that you thought were extinguished long ago. You will have something positive to look forward to. When you are ready, you'll find the right pet to take care of (you!). I have tears in my eyes thinking of your struggles and happiness in my heart knowing you can do something to make a difference for yourself. Peace out, my new friend.

Hi Michael and welcome to our world of CWE,

Sounds like you have been thru a rough time and I do understand. Your case sounds very familiar to mine as my seizures started out at 22 years of age and I was working in the airlines, hoping to travel and see the world. But one day I had an awful TC seizure that changed my life forever! I also had the brain surgery and went thru a very deep depression and was suicidal at times, but there is hope, so please seek out a therapist like AnneM suggested.
Can you get disability now that you have a brain injury? Would that help you out with your medical bills and help you see a therapist?

Have you checked out this website for answers to legal questions:
http://www.epilepsy.com/get-help/legal-issues/epilepsy-legal-resources

dataminer said:
It might be possible my seizures came from the verbal and physical violence I experienced/witnessed on a near constant basis by my father when I was growing up, I don't know. I can't even go to a therapist, as my parents are a bit narcissistic, and if I was to reveal the events that occurred when I was young, my father would deny it all at a minimum, and freak out more than likely and throw everything he's done for me back in my face, as he does quite often. And yes, I'm back to living with them, as I can only afford my mortgage if I don't live in my house.

It could definitely be a possibility why you started having seizures. I never had a head injury or any traumas to the brain and my epileptologist once asked me if there was any abuse in the family growing up. My father was abusive, too. And then my husband was somewhat narcissistic and difficult to live with, too. That only made my seizures harder to control. It just stresses the brain more, making the hippocampas shrink, causing more seizures.

Welcome Michael.......
Sounds like you've endured your share of hell over the past few years. I can tell you that you're among friends here and there's always someone willing to listen. This site is a great resource and you can find answers to your questions here. We are all on a similar journey, and it's nice to know you aren't alone. Hang in there and take it one day at a time.
Cindy

Back
Top Bottom