frontal lobe epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

fernygirl

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone
This is my first visit to a forum, I see there are a few people from melbourne on here, which is where we live too.I am looking for some help for my partner. We're both 34, he was diagnosed with frontal lobe epilepsy in january this year. He only has seizures in his sleep, which is lucky compared to a lot of other types of epilpesy I know! he gets a few different types of partial seizures, and has had 4 tonic clonic seizures since nov last year. He's tried tegretol, topamax, keppra and zonegran. Of these he can really only tolerate the Keppra, but that is not really helping him (the longest he has gone without a seizure is 6 nights, then they start again, then we up the dose, that works for a while then back again!!) He had an admission to the alfred a month ago for video EEG, they only captured one seizure on video that was not seen on EEG (thought to be from the frontal lobe). The night time seizures really disturbs his sleep and makes him feel terrible during the day, and he has not been able to work since dec last year. Also the side effects have been really bad. On our last visit to the neurologist last friday, he was sort of suggesting that what they captured during the hospital stay was not bad enough for him to feel so tired during the day, and that therefore the tiredness was probably due to depression, and that he should go back to work now..
However, my partner feels unable to work, he's had 2 bad nights and does not see how that would work! I don't know what to do, maybe see another neurologist, can anyone recommend one? Any other ideas?? Feeling so lost and sorry for my partner..
Thank you

Hi fernygirl,

Just wanted to welcome you to CWE. You will find this a great place with lots of great tips, advice & just all round support.

I am also from Australia, I live in NSW (near the NSW/VIC border) but go to the epilepsy clinic at the Austin Health in Heidleberg for treatment to my epilepsy (I have left front temporal lobe epilepsy).

When your partner had his VEEG how long was he kept in for? Was he sleep deprived to help try to bring on a seizure?

It seems to be common that with VEEGs quite often the EEG will not show up the seizure activity. Sometimes it can be to deep in the brain for it to show up on the EEG.

Is the neurologist you are seeing at the moment a neurologist or epiologist?
If your partners not happy with his current neurologist then he could see if he can get referred to an epiologist.

Back
Top Bottom