Going back to topamax

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

slyalys

New
Reaction score
I'm 23 and was diagnosed with epilepsy 2 years ago.
My dr initially put me on topamax with lamictal, but the duh feeling got to me.
The topamax was then changed to keppra. I liked the keppra okay, but after a year on it I've gained 50 pounds and become a monster.

Has anyone else had this reaction to keppra? Has anyone gone back to topamax?
I don't like the duh feeling but I'd rather be stupid and happy then a horrible monster.
I'm just scared to go back on topamax (I don't remember much from when I was on it)

Welcome slyalys

Actually I had similar effects from Keppra. Vitamin B6 is supposed to take away some of the Keprage so that you're not so much of a monster. My problem was that I could never remember to take it.

Also, since this is your first post I moved it to the foyer so everyone can welcome you

Hi,I'm being weened off keppra (1800mg) as we speak and starting up on topamax.
I put up with keppra for a year and it was awful although it did stop my seizures.I tried really hard to deal with all it's side effects because I just hate having to change and start all over again.
I slept half the day away and then would be back in bed at 8 pm,had irritable bowel,migraines,moodiest cow around,dizzy all the time,my memory loss was so bad.
I'm nearly 3 weeks into topamax and at first I was beside myself-I felt so stoned I could bearly function but now I just have really tingly fingers and I am really hopeful that this could be the one for me!!!! FINGERS CROSSED. Good luck to you

Back
Top Bottom