hello

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicola77

New
Reaction score
hi i have an 8 year old son with epilepsy and is autistic and cant talk . he has been on epilim for 4 years now but in the last 4 months he has been awful he started to have seizures again so the doctor increased the medication to control them but when the doctor done that it made him worse in another way . after taking his medication he starts crying banging his head and he trys to bite himself he has also gone of his food and he starts to tremble he is also very hot and cant seem to calm down . for the first time in his life we had to hold him down for his own good . we have cotacted the doctor and she thinks it has nothing to dowith the medication she even said that it must be a viral infection but when my son is ill he just sleeps . i would like to know if anyone else has suffered in this way i really need some help im so worried about my son i really dont know what to do for the best

Hi nicola77, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Has anyone done a blood test to check what his blood syrum level is? Have you discussed the possibility of trying a different anti-epileptic drug?

Hi Nicola - sorry to hear the troubles that you little guy is having.
I am going to suggest a few websites that you might be interested in looking at. They have been created by parents of autistic children, who have since been recovered.

www.stankurtz.com
www.danasview.com

If you already know of them I apologize.

My child is not taking medication at this time. The side effects were horrible. I don't know what I would have done if she had not be able to verbalize her discomfort.
We are currently doing a combination of diet, nutritional support via supplements, and neurofeedback.

hi Nicola i'm also sorry to hear about your son im also on eplim and i've gone of my food but i had a favioute food like at the minute mine chicken chow-mein my mum let me have it because when i went of chicken chow-mein then i started eating again but we are always here for you.

Welcome!

:cheers:

Hi and welcome to CWE. Pull up a chair and relax for awhile. From experience, I know you have a heavy load. Just know things can get better.

My 8 year old granddaughter is/was borderline autistic. Her actual diagnosis was Persuasive Behavioral Disorder. I remember those times between 2-5 years when she would bang her head on the floor. Your post brought a tear to my eye because I know the pain you must feel when that happens. The helpless feeling was the worst for me. It wasn't a bump or scratch that you could kiss and make go away. I was an EMT for 20 years and couldn't do a d**n thing for her.

Luckily she was not fighting E. That is my disorder. With a ton of intervention and patience, she is doing quite well now and other than being emotional, not much different than the rest of the kids her age. So trust in God that there is HOPE. :e:

The E can also be controlled. It may take time and you may need to find a pediatric neurologist capable of handling both problems at once. The head banging is not viral in my opinion. Be your child's hero and advocate. Don't be afraid to fight for them. You are their voice right now. At eight, the brain is still developing, so there is still a chance for improvement.

Good luck and I hope you find us here at CWE both a source of information and a place to relax when you need it.

:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom