Hello everyone.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Tim_bo16

New
Reaction score
Well, my fiancé just had her first, what I'd like to call, major seizure. We just got to sleep about 20 minutes before this all unfolded. I was quickly woken up to the bed shaking. Me, being confused from sleep, just thought it was restless legs until I heard coughing and spitting. I jumped out of bed and grabbed a towel and sat by her side until it was over. I was so scared not knowing what to do, I tried to keep her awake. After informing her of what just had happened, drifting in and out of sleep every time I shouted her name, she just got mad and said I was loosing it. She still doesn't believe it happened, she just gets mad and says stop shouting. Now, I'm sitting next to the bed just keeping an eye out for her, letting her sleep.

In the past, she has had quite a few moments where she "spaces out" for 30 seconds or so. She acknowledges those, and says there's always a weird smell that triggers a memory, or she can " smell and taste a memory", then she just looses control for a while. Then for a few minutes afterwards, she stutters on her words, but is fine. She's very smart and has done a bunch of looking into simple partial seizures and ect. ( I have a lot of homework to do) this is just the first me or her mother has known about a full blown one.

From the looks of some of the first posts on here, everything should be fine for tonight, but I know further action will have to be addressed. I'm 27, she's 24, we're in love and I just want to make sure my little lady is going to be alright. Any extra info on here is greatly appreciated. I will probably be a frequent visitor on the site, and thank you to all for the information already posted. If there's something you think I should be doing immediately, let me know!

If there's something you think I should be doing immediately, let me know!

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear of your fiance's restless night and how scary it was for you. From what you have described it does sound like she has been experiencing Complex Partial seizures that eventually progressed into a generalized Tonic clonic (used to be called grand mal). She needs to be seen by a neurologist ASAP and get an EEG done, as seizures can progress if not controlled soon.

Check these websites for more info:

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/epilepsy-101/what-happens-during-seizure

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/complex-partial-seizures

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/diagnosis/diagnosis-101/why-see-doctor

When I have simple partials I usually know I'm having it. I may get sort of dizzy, don't feel awake, and my lips might tingle. Everyone has different things happen to them during a simple partial so just because this happens with me doesn't mean the same thing is going to happen with her.

Sometimes before I have a complex partial, which I black out during, I'll have a simple partial so I'll sort of know it's coming. Other times I'll go right into the complex with no warning. I don't even know I've had it unless there's someone there to see me have it.

A good bit of times when I have a complex I'll forget things that happened a few minutes to a few hours before it happened.

During a complex I've even done things, or don't remember that I'd done them because I did them right before the complex. Once I loaded the dishwasher during the complex. I didn't know I'd done it until I put dishes in it later in the day and saw the messy way things were put in it.

Just the other day I had a complex that I didn't know I'd had. I was sending txt messages to a friend. A few hours later I saw that I'd sent about 10 messages I didn't know I'd sent. I don't know if I'd sent them right before the complex or during it.

Later that evening I had one when my husband were out at a restaurant. He told me that I kept insisting that I needed to go to the bathroom. He let me go after I came out of the seizure but I don't remember having the argument with him.

It's just weird how things happen.

Back
Top Bottom