Hello - I hear Morgan Freeman

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I guess I'm supposed to introduce myself here before I go posting in other areas. I've had a few incidences since buying a treadmill in April 2014. It started about 2-3 months after I started working out and had lost about 20 lbs.

The first few times:
Running on the treadmill with music blasting. About 40 minutes into workout when suddenly the music would mute and Morgan Freemans voice would be there (Clear as a bell and loud as my radio - or so it seemed). At that same flash of a moment I would see cartoons and very colorful vivid dreamlike things in view while still seeing my treadmill, couch - the real surroundings. A rush of panic would come over me because I know I'm running on the treadmill and suddenly seeing and hearing things that don't exist. This happened maybe 5 times - each time I had enough reaction time left to shut down the treadmill and sit down and the hallucinations would pass shortly thereafter. Leaving me feeling speechless and for some reason excited/sick/anxious/gleeful - too many emotions.

Then in August unrelated to using the treadmill - one morning I was getting dressed for work and suddenly started hearing Morgan and seeing colors. I turned from my closet to sit on my bed but I guess it was too late. This was the first time I blacked out. I woke up face down on the floor with a gash above my eye. I was brought to Urgent care a few hours after - had blood work taken, EKG done, pregnancy test, vitals. They found nothing and said it could have just been a freak thing and not to worry about it unless it happens again.

3 months to the day later also unrelated to the treadmill. I drove myself into work. Sat at my desk - I felt so alert and so effective that morning. About 2 hours in and I suddenly started hearing Morgan. I feel like I could still see the keyboard but not my monitor, I felt frozen and think I blacked out. When I came to I was slouched over my keyboard. I was driven home by a fellow employee and later brought to the hospital. The hooked me up to a 4 hour EKG, checked my vitals, more blood work. Nothing came back.

Follow up with a neurologist in the weeks following led to an MRI of my brain a sleep deprived EEG and a 48 hour holter monitor at home. Nothing showed up. My neurologist put me on 250 mg of Keppra towards the end of November 2014. I can only take 1/2 dose because it makes me too sleepy. Now I'm developing a rash which I think may be from the Keppra. My bills are becoming too much so I wonder if I stop taking the medication and stop seeing my neurologist would it be such a terrible thing? I'm 33 Female - single Mom to a teenage drama queen daughter. (Maybe these are stress related?!) I've since put off using the treadmill - but am putting a plan back in place to get on there again.

Hey MorganFree, welcome to CWE!

My bills are becoming too much so I wonder if I stop taking the medication and stop seeing my neurologist would it be such a terrible thing? I'm 33 Female - single Mom to a teenage drama queen daughter. (Maybe these are stress related?!) I've since put off using the treadmill - but am putting a plan back in place to get on there again.
Whatever you do, don't stop the Keppra cold turkey -- doing so can actually cause seizures. And keep your neurologist in the loop. let him or her know that the medication may not be a good fit, and that you're worried about finances.

It's not unusual to have the the tests come back negative, particularly with partial seizures. the abnormal brain activity can be too transient or originate too deep in the brain to register on an EEG. The most important thing to consider is your actual clinical symptoms. And the symptoms you describe doesn't sound like "stress". It definitely sounds like partial seizures generalizing to complex seizures. That doesn't mean that stress isn't playing a contributing role (as can things like fatigue, dehydration, hormone spikes, low blood sugar, etc.). The fact that the symptoms have progressed through three episodes to include loss of consciousness indicates that you need to take treating them seriously to keep them from progressing any further (in kind, duration, and/or in frequency.)

Staying medicated is a good idea at this point, and there are other meds to try if the Keppra is problematic. It can also help to take a close look at your lifestyle to see what factors may be playing a secondary role in triggering your seizures. Since the first episode occurred during exercise after a period of weight loss, you might want to examine your diet and make sure you are eating properly and getting a good balance of electrolytes. Does your diet contain caffeine or other stimulants? Herbal supplements? Aspartame or MSG? Are you sleeping well? There are some good tips for ways to identify and eliminate seizure triggers here: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

Best,
Nakamova

Thanks for the advice. Just to see my neurologist cost me over $350 out of pocket. I did tell him that I had been drinking more alcohol than usual but he didnt seem to care or see a connection. I told him about the treadmill and weight loss - nothing seemed to spike a concern with him. He said they hadn't found anything and the question was - do we put you on medication or wait it out and see what happens. My boyfriend was there and insisted I get started on medication right away. Now he wants me off it because he says I'm not the same anymore. I cry a lot and talk about strange things especially on the weekends when we are trying to enjoy some cocktails. Diet wise I would say I was eating much healthier and not depriving myself of needed calories but perhaps not always getting enough electrolytes. I don't generally consume caffeine, I take a Flintstones vitamin with my daughter everyday, no asparame or MSG (unless we get Chinese Food which is only about once every 3-6 months). I'll do some more research and absolutely appreciate you taking the time to respond.

It's not unusual for a neurologist to pay little attention to lifestyle factors that might have played a secondary part in the seizures. Most neurologists only have one or two tools in their toolbox (medication and surgery) and are less interested in other ways that someone might be able to raise their seizure threshold. But there can be a lot to gain from taking control of your environment and overall health. Check out AlohaBird's thread http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/my-personal-n-1-a-24880/ for some ideas.

My boyfriend was there and insisted I get started on medication right away. Now he wants me off it because he says I'm not the same anymore. I cry a lot and talk about strange things especially on the weekends when we are trying to enjoy some cocktails.
Mood swings and personality changes are known Keppra side effects. Let your neuro know that you want to make a switch. As far as cost goes, I see that you are in Massachusetts. You should be able to get access to insurance that would make seeing your neuro less expensive.

I had something similar to that happen to me, but I was not diagnosed with epilepsy at the time, and ended up with a bipolar with psychotic features diagnosis. It is probably a type of psychosis you are experiencing.

It can be dangerous. My personal thoughts, are, if you are ever in a situation where the hallucinations get out of control, you want to have tranquilizers at your side to calm you down and ease you out of the experience.

The psychologist gave me first generation anti-psychotics and they really punch alot of energy out of you.

Anyways, it is AMAZING how the mind can play back crisp high quality sound, isn't it? I at one point had a song playing in my head which I had not heard for years, and it was as if it were playing off a CD player. I even went outside to make sure that the music wasn't playing somewhere inside, that is how AMAZING the human mind can be.

Let's just say that I fully believe in things like eidetic memory. I don't believe it, I know it is possible.

Also, this is what could happen in a worse case scenario, right?

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...lly_ill_woman_told_911_she_was_pure_evil.html

I mean, if Morgan Freeman decided to start telling you what do to, sort of thing. When I was having difficultly with voices, I'd take tranquilizer. I didn't need to resort to that more than a few times. I hate tranquilizers, but I have a small stash of them just in case.

Last edited:
Thanks MrKap. I feel certain I am not bipolora or have psychotic features. My Neurologist said he was 99% sure that I have LTE. He noted that finding anything in tests is often times difficult because it's in a rather hidden area of the brain. - That the real only way they would probably find something would be to stick a needle in there. (I've got enough going on in my head to start sticking needles in there lol) He said as long as I know Morgan Freeman is not really talking to me then he had no worries. I do know he is not there - much less can I remember anything that he said but it always ended up making me feel very peaceful in the aftermath. I'd almost rather have these "aura's" than take medication. I've always been a healthy, non-religious, happy person. The Keppra is making me over react to situations - As long as nothing is stimulating my feelings I'm normal, Once something is mentioned or done I fly off the handle either with A LOT of crying or A LOT of yelling. I'm not very fun to be around these days but I certainly wouldn't be one of those worse case scenarios you mentioned above :) I have a large family on both my Mother and Father side - everyone on both sides have always been blessed with great health up until the recent years...My Mother passed away after being diagnosed with Melanoma. They removed it and we thought we were through it after she was about to pass her 2 year cancer free screening and it suddenly came back through her blood - traveled into her brain, lungs - everything was riddled with tumors. She passed away at 51 years old about 2 years ago. Months after that my Uncle (my favorite Uncle and the one I thought was the happiest funnest guy to be around) took his own life. It seems like the mourning process is starting all over again. Now my Grandmother is going through treatment for Lung Cancer. Imagine that - she never smoked a day in her life? My boyfriends mother is going through Chemo for Uterine Cancer, My Aunt just had a tumor found in her Uterus last month. It's like everything is being crippled right before my very eyes. Maybe it's not the Keppra, Maybe it's not the Seizures. Maybe I should seek out some therapy instead.

Yeah, I am sort of debating whether or not I am bipolar to be honest. When the psychatrist interviewed me I neglected to mention my massive initial seizure. I just didn't know what it was at the time. Needless to say, I've spent my life being irreligious and athiest, and it was only recently that I switched to a more compassionate perspective of agnosticism. However when that first initial seizure hit, it knocked me into a delusional state, and from there I spent many a days fighting off what I knew wasn't true, but because it became so invasive it was impossible to ignore, and eventually trips to the ER were needed. So, I'm only saying if it progresses, you'll want a xanax or something for the nasty days (I tend to be against regular medications and opt for healthy eating and so on, when possible).

Anyways long story short, I suspect that as a child a series of really nasty ear infections which required months of drainage and attention from the doctors is an old wound, and my first initial seizure is partially linked to that weak spot in my brain.

I don't believe I will ever be a worst case scenario, and I doubt you will be a worst case scenario, but if you ever find the delusions creeping in, or if you ever start entertaining the novelty that is morgan freeman in your head, then you could be drifting off into what doctors labelled me as being, prone to psychotic episodes.

Guy, I thought all of hollywood was inside my head at one point, and yes, I absolutely avoid anything with illuminati in the title, because that is the direction I refuse to entertain. Honest to god, at one point I could say "brad pitt", and my nose would start to feel pressure pushing down on it. (Conclusion? I was in some sort of etheral fight club. I know, it's messed up, but everytime I said the name, I got "a punch".)

I don't see how therapy could be a negative thing.

Last edited:
I should also mention to you, that my initial huge seizure happened during a collapse of a business, due to quarreling partners tearing it shreds. Few other times in my life have been so stressful. A period of great loss, huge mental and physical demands, loaded with grief and anger.

So, yes, your stress is probably a huge contributor to your current situation preventing your own bodies natural healing mechanisms from working the best.

Therapy might be good, but good nutrition, and taking serious care of yourself and scaling back on demanding work days and so on, is probably equally if not more important.

Only my opinion, hope that helps.

Incidentally I tried to cut my meds in half this week. Ended up having an aura saturday and a partial seizure after an aura today. Didn't hear morgan freeman. I just didnt know where I was my house did not seem like my house.ive been feeling sick all day.

I hope you feel better. Let your neuro know before you make any more changes to your meds. Dose changes (up or down) can sometimes make things worse if they aren't done carefully.

Thanks. I know you warned me of that but I had to try. I hate taking meds and hate seeing doctors for anything outside of the usual annual checkups. Looks like life as I know it is undoubtedly changed. :(

I hate taking meds and hate seeing doctors for anything outside of the usual annual checkups.
Are we the same person? :) If I didn't have epilepsy, I wouldn't ever ever go to the doctor. If you take my brain out of the picture my health is excellent.

Like you I tried going off meds a few times (with the doctor's reluctant approval). But I had no success with that, and so now I've basically accepted that I'll be on meds for the long-term. But my seizures are completely controlled by meds, the side effects are tolerable, and epilepsy has negligible effect on the way I live my life. I know I'm one of the lucky ones, but it can happen. Hang in there!

LOL. I think we could be the same! Yesterdays Seizure really knocked me on my ass. I brought my daughter to school pre-seizure. Decided I didn't feel very well and called into work. I curled up with a blanket and slept for another 3 hours. I woke up and decided to check in on my work emails to make sure nothing piled up on me. Worked through about 15 minutes of emails sitting on my living room floor when I suddenly started feeling an Aura coming on. I didnt recognize my own house and then blacked out. I did not go into full blown convulsions as far as I can tell since my laptop was still on my lap - The email I was in the middle of writing ended with a bunch of "jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffnnnnnnnnbbbbbbbbbbjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjjjjjjj" Glad I couldn't hit send! After that seizure I was extremely nauseous - ended up getting sick, Slept for another 3 hours. Went to bed a few hours later slept through the night and today I feel like I haven't slept a wink. But Here I sit at work anyway. Why do I feel so crappy still?

Gosh I hope you feel better soon. For me the post-seizure recovery time seems to be tied to my general health at the moment the seizure hits. If I'm feeling good overall then I might have a tonic-clonic and not even know it unless someone witnesses it. But if I'm already extra-stressed and tired when I have the seizure, then I feel lousier for longer afterwards. Make sure you're getting enough to eat and drink in the aftermath of the seizure -- it's easy to forget about those things while you're feeling lousy (and nauseous), but low blood sugar and dehydration might make it harder to bounce back quickly.

Hey MF

Just think, it could be worse, you could be hearing Nancy Polosi, now that would drive me crazy!!!

I thought Morgan Freeman was great in the Electric Company child series.

Have you had a CT/Mri scan? CT is a lot cheaper, but both of those can rule out a brain tumor.
When i was 38, a CT scan found a baseball type tumor in my head and that cause the seizures, that brought me into the ER.

Cheers,

:piano: :pop:

Your right! That would drive me crazy lol. I dont mind morgan freemans voice. Its rather soothing but I never saw Electric Company. Unfortunately the last 2 times I had seizures his voice wasnt there. Instead I didnt recognize my own living room and ended up quite sick for days. I did have an mri, sleep deprived eeg, 48 hour holter monitor, lots of bloodwork, ekgs and they found nothing. I guess thats probably a good thing! Thank goodness they found your tumor. I hope you are living a fruitful life. Thats gotta be scary

Back
Top Bottom