Hello and looking at Neuro Pace

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtsammy

New
Reaction score
Hello All. My name is Sam and I just wanted to share and hopefully get some opinions and feedback from all of you. I was diagnosed w/ epilepsy at at 15 (I'm 28 now). I first head a seizure at at 2 and didn't have another seizure until 15. I saw about 4 different neuro's and they would all tell me the same story "that I was a healthy young man and they didn't know where the seizures were coming from". It took me some searching before I found a neuro at John Hopkins Univ. and we found that my seizures were coming from a scar tissue in my brain. I was first on dilantin until about age 20, and then my neuro told me that my body grew a tolerance for dilantin so they had to try a variety of other drugs. Since then I have been on 5 or 6 other medications. And combination of the same medications as well. I am currently taking 3000 mg of keppra, 400 mg of lamictal and 600 mg of lyrica daily. I was having avg. of about 1 seizure per week. The scary thing is that most of the times I have seizures I don't know they are occurring. When I started having seizures at 15 I was having grand mal seizures when asleep, but now I am having petite mal seizures while I am awake. It's scary because they can happen at anytime. But to make a long story short, I had brain surgery at George Washington University on 9/14 in which they put a titanium grid on my head. On the 9/15 they observed that my seizures were actually coming from the back of my brain where the memory and speech comes from, and then the seizures would spread across to the front of the brain. The doctors felt it would be too dangerous to remove anything from that part of the brain so they just stapled me back up 2 days later on 9/14. They suggested a Neuropace and said that I would be a great candidate for it. Has anybody heard or have had this device installed in their brain? I know this device is still going through the early stages, and although I hear stories of how there had been great results, it is still new and risky. Any thoughts? Thanks for hearing out my story and I would greatly appreciate any feedback. God bless.

Sam

Welcome Sam

There are risks with everything. Neuropace is the newest implant on the market. Even though it's still in the testing phases, I am impressed with their studies. (notice the ad on the top of the page?)

Speaking from experiance with VNS, I think the neuropace is a much better devise. The electrodes are placed directly on the seizure focus, unlike the VNS which has coils wrapped around the vagus nerve, stimulation travels in BOTH directions, up to the brain and down into the body, more often than not, creating some very unpleasent side effects.

Bernard may have more info on others who are implanted.

Thanks Birdbomb. I'm meeting w/ the neuro next week, and we'll see what he has to say. Anybody else have any input?

Sam

Hi Sam: I do not know anything about the inplant. But I wanted to welcome you to the board and wish you the best of luck . I have epilepsy 41 yrs since I am 11 yrs old I am going on 52 yrs old . I have been taking homepathy for the past 2 yrs and added the Gard diet a month ago so I could get off my what was left of my AEDS. Have any ques?
Will be glad to answer your questions.
Riva

Hi Positiveperson. What kind of diet did you say that you are on? And are you no longer taking any AED's? Thanks everybody for making me feel so welcome.

Sam, have a look at the chart mentioned in my signature. There are several "seizure control" diets listed there (among other things your neuro may never have mentioned).

:hello: Sam!

Glad to have you here! When I first
"Heard the name of NEUROPACE", at
first ...

(Don't laugh folks - I'm telling the truth)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought it was a name of a Car/SUV or
a new TRUCK ~ as it somewhat brought
me memories of Dodge's NEON car. Don't
ask why ... and then I thought of the old
PACER car ...

:eek:

Then I found out it was an innovation type
like a VNS for the brain!

:oops:

Then I went off to do a research and it
almost correlates to the RNS. I've been
reading up on it but hadn't followed up too
closely to warrant sufficient enough info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom