Hello Medication question.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi I'm new. I am on 200mg of Lamictal for about 6 years and have noticed lately that I have been unable to sleep, seem somewhat edgy, and have been drooling excessively... Even when I'm not having a seizure. I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. Is it possible to be experiencing side effects after all this time.

Hi Shaky girl, welcome!

Those side effects sound like ones I had when I first went on Lamictal -- it definitely made me edgy and gave me lousy restless sleep, and I seem to remember the drooling too, at least at night. Assuming there are no external factors at work (such as meds that interact with the Lamictal), it's possible that your metabolism or hormones have changed in ways that are affecting the your blood serum level. Estrogen in particular messes with Lamictal in significant ways. You might ask your doc about testing your Lamictal blood serum level to see if it has changed dramatically. And if you are continuing to have seizures, it might be worth reviewing your meds/dosages anyway.

Best,
Nakamova

He hormone connection sounds about right, the symptoms started when I began to go through menopause. Thanks a bunch, I will be speaking with my Neuro about this.

I had being on edge when I tried the lamictal. I wasnt on it very long... only two weeks, and found out I was having an allergic reaction to it, so I had to get off of it. Hopefully your drs will find the root cause of this for you! :)

Back
Top Bottom