Hello there

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
First time using something like this. I don't expect this to be read through or anything but I don't feel like my wife understands quite what I feel but someone else out there might. If you read and respond thanks ahead of time! So I guess I''' start from the first time. I was in a motorcycle accident and about 2-3 weeks later We were back home by then and this extreme feeling of deja vu came over me, it felt like I had no control over myself. Not because I couldn't move but I didn't feel like it. There is a lot more to it than that but I'd like to explain later how they are today. After that first time it seemed to happen once or so a week for about 2 months, after that once every couple of weeks and so on. As of now I'd say it happens about once a month sometimes 2 days in a row. On a day that it decides to come it will happen about once an hour throughout that day. So to explain the full event in itself it starts with the deja vu feeling, I mean when it comes I almost feel psychic. In my mind I seem to imagine the same things from the first time it happened mixed with my current sorroundings. My body tempature skyrockets, I have this paranoia come over me, and the last most embarassing thing I get an erection some how. I guess I'm just hoping to find someone else out there like myself. I really need someone to relate to. This has been happening since late 2010 and I am finally ready to talk, but not to a doctor... Thanks guys. Apologies if I did this incorrectly...

Oh, I'm also under the impression I am having simple or complex partial seizures. I can get more specific with episodes if needed but I feel I've probably typed more than anyone wants to read anyways. Maybe someone can correct me?

Last edited:
Welcome to CWE, it's awesome here :)

It's a site that is like the web used to be 20 years ago (and that's a good thing).

The deja vu is a simple partial like you said, very common symptom. There can be many strange effects, and feeling psychic, although not common, is not rare.

Some people have out of body experiences, jamais vu (which is a whole lot more freaky than deja vu lol), euphoric rushes, intense fear, huge sudden POV changes and many more etc etc.

If you search the forums for aura or simple partial you'll see a wide selection of various symptoms and triggers reported for simples.

It's hard when you have to go through this and noone around you can begin to appreciate how crazy it is- but at least here, they do, and my god it's a relief to be part of a community that not only gives advice and support, but understands. To me that's the biggest benefit I get from here..

Thanks for the welcome, I hope to meet a lot more people here like myself. I really appreciate it.

Hi! Post all you want and what you have to say WILL be read! The more you want to talk about the more people will try to help you.

There's always a person who is going through the same thing that you are so it's great to know that you aren't the only one out there in the world that these things are happening to. I've been on here about 5 years now and I've gotten a ton of help.

One thing that I like most about this web site is if something embarrassing happens during a seizure that you don't want anyone to know about you can feel more comfortable telling people on here about it because no one knows who you actually are. It's not like you are telling a friend or family member what happened during a seizure and they can laugh about it. People on here will say things like 'I know what you mean, that happens to me too'.

It does sound like you are having simple complex seizures. During those you don't blank out but things just aren't right. I get really confused during mine and have trouble understand what's going on. My lips might tingle and my fingers have also at times. A time or two I have had deja vu.

During a complex I completely blank out. I may or may not have a simple complex before them.

I can't remember if it was a simple complex I was having or when I was coming out of a complex partial, because I'm very confused too then, but my husband was asking me who he was. I kept calling him by my ex-boyfriend's name. Luckily his brother and my ex have the same name so he just thought I thought he was his brother. This is one of those things that I'd be embarrassed to tell someone I know.

You can talk about almost anything else too, not just epilepsy. It's a good place to meet and get together with people.

You did everything right in your post too!

Last edited:
Hi cOaGuLaTeD, welcome to CWE!

I agree with the others, what you describe sounds like Simple Partials to a tee. You might find these links helpful:
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/simple-partial-seizures
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/invaluable-article-simple-partials-auras-13324/

It's a good idea to keep a seizure/symptom journal, tracking what happens, how long, and how often. The journal can help you look for triggers or patterns, and if you do decide to see a doc, the information will be useful in confirming a diagnosis.

There's a risk that untreated seizures can progress, so if you notice that your symptoms are becoming more distressing, or increasing in frequency/duration, consider seeing a neurologist.

Best,
Nakamova

Thanks so much everyone. I'm really glad I decided to seek out others. I'm really happy/sad I found out there are actually others like this. That journal sounds like a great idea. I just don't see a point in a doctor at this moment. I don't want to take any medicine right now and I definetly do not want some kind of surgeory. Unless there is a chance of a tumor or something similar? From what I have noticed they are becoming less frequent over time but when it does happen it feels stronger than in the past. Like this last one (the reason I decided to seek people out) a few days ago I was in the shower, it hit me so towards the end of it happening I got out and when I saw myself in the mirror I didn't recognize myself. Ha, I mean I knew it was me but... It's very difficult to explain along with almost everything else as I am sure you are all aware.

Hiya*

Its been way too long since I visited. Shame on me!! I hope everyone is well. Been interesting here! You have been missed and in my thoughts*
joan*

Back
Top Bottom