Hey everyone!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey what's up!
Geez, I can't believe that I haven't discovered this site until now! I have been having complex partials for about 4 years. They are down to about one every 2-3 months, but they are still dramatic. They have evolved from total unconsciousness with eye twitching to periods of what I describe as similar to "punchdrunkedness" that last for about 5 minutes followed by amnesia and a postictal fugue that can last to up 10 minutes. I am scheduled to be admitted into an epilepsy monitoring unit for a week in a little over a month. I am afraid and excited at the same time. Furthermore, I feel like no one I speak to can truly understand what I am going through, and I understand why. I know that my friends and family care deeply for me, but if you do not endure epilepsy, it is difficult to fathom. I know that I need the support of those that are close to me, but what is the best way to talk about my epilepsy with them? It always feels like they get frustrated because they cannot help me. Is it worth it to keep trying, or should I take another route to get things off of my chest?

Also my doctor has made it clear that surgery may be an option for me. Should I consider it even though my seizures have decreased in frequency over the past year? Stuff has been pretty heavy lately....

Last edited:
Hi rjsulliv79.

Welcome to CWE. I was diagnosed a long time before finding CWE. Even though my seizures are controlled, I like to check in once a day or so. It's a great place to chat and learn about epilepsy. There are plenty of people here that have been in a similar situation.

Welcome. :)

rjsulliv79

You are welcome to C.W.E. a place for you to relax and ask questions and if we can help we will. The question is "do they want to talk about your epilepsy" and if they do, then you can start. There is no right or wrong way to talk to your family about epilepsy, you just have to sit down with them and explain what it is to them and the way it affects you, but epilepsy does not rule your life or define you, you are still you. Yes you have a problem but it is not going to change you but you will have to make some adjustments to your life and how greatfull you are to have such a family. The talk goes on, I am sure you knew this already just as you know the rest to say, but keep your cool.

As for surgery well that is something that you yourself will have to look into and decide. There are pros and cons for everything and the final decision has to be yours.

Non of this is easy, but then you knew that already.

FedUp,

Much thanks. Keeping my cool is definitely something on which I constantly work. I realize that I lose some of my "cool" a couple of days after having a seizure (had one this past Friday at work). And you're right. I have to put things into better perspective. Just as all of us deal with what we endure differently, family and friends deal with it differently also. I have to learn to keep that in mind.

Last edited:
rjsulliv79

Now your talking, they treat it different and look at it different especially Parents. So an odd thanks might not go astray either. I tend to lose my cool as well especially after a seizure just like you.

Welcome rjsulliv79!

Lots of good people here with valuable advice and support.

Cindy

Back
Top Bottom