Hi

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JamieP

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi
I'm from "the Apple Isle" - the Australian island of Tasmania - the town of Westbury in the central north of TAS
I was diagnosed in childhood. I'm on medication but still have seizures from time to time.
I have a genetic disorder that causes a boy to look a lot like a girl which complicates socially how people react to my epilepsy.

ah ok, there is a time shift, I am actually about to head that way myself.

the site is all over the world, but a chunk of the site is U.s. and European
so there should be some people getting up shortly who hang out on the site.

Hello Jamie, and welcome. I'm a little confused by Court's message about the time shift, but in any case, I'm in that part of the US where we are just getting the day going. (It's 0719 here).
I don't believe I'm familiar with the disorder you were talking about. What's it called? I can imagine that it would be something that would complicate your life all by itself, and epilepsy lends its own set of complications to everything else we are and do.
What meds are you on? Can you tell us a little more about the disorder, or at least what it's called? I would be interested in doing a little reading on it.
I hope you enjoy hanging out here. It's a good place and there is a lot of support.

Onward and upward!

Hi Jamie, welcome to CWE!

We have a few members in your neck of the woods, though I think you're the first from Tasmania (an island I would love to visit, BTW).

It sounds like you have a version of androgen insensitivity syndrome. Do your seizures also have genetic component, or do they have some other cause? Or, as with the majority of folks with epilepsy, is the cause "unknown?

Best,
Nakamova

My mother passed on a lot of genetic problems. I'm on Valpro purple tablets for the epilepsy.

it's difficult looking just like a girl.
the dance ball was difficult.
I'm just get overwhelmed. Doesn't help that my feminised condition seems to be seen by a lot of people as a licence to treat me as a collection of perfume, panties and tits :'(

i meant it by it was the middle of the day for jamie, and i was about to pass out, hence the quiet board.

I am at UTC -5. It is currently 5:50 am here.
The closest I came to finding Taz is Oz at UTC +10, which is about 8:50 pm.

Hi Jamie and welcome! I hope you find conversations and exploration here to be helpful!

Stay strong and don't give up!

Hi Jamie
welcome to CWE.
I was dx'd with epilepsy at the age of two.

Hi
Welcome to this forum..where we all come from differing situations but try to make the most of it..

:)

Jamie I used to take epilim which is valproate also and I didn't realise it until years after that one of it's side effects besides the curly hair and weight gain is to increase androgen levels in many men. I found it a fairly harsh drug with lots of side effects and it didn't control my epilepsy well. I had constant petit mals. Only Lamictal irons that out.

Hi Jaime! Welcome...first off, like Nakamova, I would love to visit Tasmania and the entire area! Sounds like a lot to deal with--You said you are overwhelmed, I bet that's probably an understatement! Hoping you have a good support system in place, people to talk to (this board is great place to start).

I just want to apologise for sending PMs. I realise now that i should have made a public thread. My mistake.

No problem.
Just browse around and see what you like.
You may start a thread if there is a topic that hasn't been covered.
There is also a creative section if you are creative:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f44/ - the writers corner
the kitchen, the padded room and on and on.
The more you look around, the more favorites you will find.

Back
Top Bottom