hi all

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

stevenj

New
Reaction score
Hi I'm new here I have just been confirmed by the hospital this morning that I have epilepsy ,so they had started me on lamotrigine two weeks ago.so they are working up my dose to a level that will control my seizures .I'm 50 years old and live with my wife in Scotland.I hope I can meet new friends on here and learn more about my epilepsy .the hard bit for me is I lost my job due to it and my driving license .but life has to go on.

Steve

stevenj

Your very welcome to C.W.E. its not easy but try to relax a little and look around this is a good place to be, with even better people to help. You will meet new friends, do not worry.

welcome steve :)
and kudos to you for joining the same day you were diagnosed, lol you'll have a lot of members jealous on that one (aka this is SUCH a valuable place, i can't imagine! i had epilepsy for years before coming here).
there is always people who are/have been in your shoes re: types of seizures, medication, problems with doctors, loss of independance, etc. sometimes only one member can relate to your specific issues, and sometimes thousands of us... either way you're never alone. vent, cry, laugh, or simply gab away, won't be long 'til this is your second home!!

there are threads on a variety of meds here, if you want to read more about experiences with lamictal (generic is lamotrigine, i'm on it too), but take with a grain of salt k, meds are different for everyone- a drug that hospitalizes one patient can be the life-saver for another :)...

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f36/lamictal-anyone-20147/

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/lamictal-jaw-ear-pain-help-needed-23352/

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/swollen-eye-lamictal-23349/

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f36/all-cwe-members-whats-your-1-a-22368/

Last edited:
Hi Steve.

You have the right attitude. Life keeps going on. Welcome to CWE. This is a great place to learn.

Hi Steve and welcome! Glad you found us. You'll find tons of friendly folks and info here!

stevenj

Actually stevenj qtowngirl said it perfectly in one go and she is jealous or is that me.

Thank you all for your warm welcome,and I'm sure we will be good friends

Steve

Hi Steve, welcome from another Scot. My daughter has E (rather than me) and also takes lamotrigine. Really bad news that you lost your job :( but sounds like you have the right attitude.

This is a great forum - you will learn far more about epilepsy here than anywhere else.

Thanks janeC for your warm welcome from a fellow Scot,just hope I can get to the right dose of lamotrigine to control my epilepsy without to many side affects.I'm sure we will chat more on here.

Steve

Welcome to the E club! This is a great place for support, and believe me, we all can use it from time to time. Feel free to ask any and all questions and vent if you need to. Your wife might find this helpful, too.
I've been on Lamictal for about 15 years., and I am mostly OK, except I have always had problems with good seizure control. Life does go on, though!
Onward and upward!

Welcome! I was diagnosed at 40, 54 now so yes, life goes on, even in California. Have only lost the license but here we can get it back in 6 months if all goes well. I've got 5.9 months to go.

Welcome! Feel free to post any questions or vent if you need too. This is a place full of great people.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. There are great people here to share your journey . Along with people that have had similar experiences.

I too am in the same boat, lost my licence last July. Due to seizures. Which meant I had to stop working. Now the wife has me going through stuff thats been boxed up for years. Im sure your wife will keep you busy :).

If someone has not mentioned it already. Its a good thing to keep a daily diary. That way if your meds are doing strange things, you can let your doctor/neroligist know.

If your like me my short term memory is not so good. The wife can vouch for that. lol...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having short term memory issues. This last week has been scary, never know what I've told any particular person eg about what happened (t/c) or something specific to work. Yikes.

Back
Top Bottom