hi all i'm new and have a lot of questions

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

soula

New
Reaction score
i was diagnosed at sixteen with grand maul seizers and have been on epilim since then i am now 29. i am pregnant in my third trimester , i have been off my meds for seven months fit free but a few jerks now and then mostly when i wake up. i went off the meds at the dr's advice due to the chance of neural tube defects. i want to know if anyone can tell me if there is any risks to the baby if i go back on my meds now ? , i have 3 to 4 weeks to go before the baby arrives and want to limit the chance of fitting during labour. due on the 13 august .

Most pregnant women who have epilepsy deliver their babies without complications. Women who have epilepsy may use the same methods of pain relief during labor and deliver as provided to others. If you have a seizure during labor, it may be stopped with intravenous medication. If the seizure is prolonged or your labor doesn’t progress normally, your obstetrician may deliver the baby by C-section.

Hi Soula --

The risks to the fetus are highest in the early months of pregnancy, so it might be okay to take meds now. HOWEVER, the best person to answer this question would be your ob-gyn in conjunction with your neurologist -- they would have the best sense of the risks involved, as well as any other concerns particular to your pregnancy and delivery.

Best of luck to you and your baby! The hot months are the hardest

hi all i have had a beautifull baby girl born on the10 august 2010 all is well, no problems with my baby as in no defects that could have been caused by the epilim or topamax
i wish you all the best and chow for now

Congratulations Soula! I'm sure you have a pretty big smile right about now:woot:

Hi, Soula,

Welcome! I'm so happy for you. Soon you'll have your baby in your arms. :)

There are many pregnant women that are on AEDs. There are some risks with meds, but your doctor may determine those risks are less than those your baby would have if you had a seizure. It's important to work with your neurologist and OBGYN on this. If you would like the highest level of care, there are neurologists that specialize in epilepsy in pregnant women.

Here's a link to the stats on the different drugs and the effect on babies:
http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/71/14/e32

Don't let the stats scare you too much. They don't say what the malformations are. Some are pretty mild. A friend of mine's mom was on medication during pregnancy, and my friend was born without a couple of toenails and three of her toes are a little short. It doesn't affect her life at all. And the odds of problems with some drugs aren't that much higher than the general population.

Back
Top Bottom