hi. felt so strange for days after my last seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I felt so afraid and strange after my last seizure. I'm normally very talkative,but couldn't formulate thoughts well enough to engage anyone. I felt like I was in an alternate reality. Anyone ever feel like this?

Hi,
For myself after a tonic clonic seizure it has taken me weeks to feel normal. The last seizure I had 6 weeks ago I woke up straped to a bed in the hospital with no memory how I got there. It took me at least 3 weeks to begin to feel normal but during the first 2 weeks my sense of smell was intense my memory was terrible and still is, I felt like I was in a different reality and just observing other people. The worst tc I had I was unconscious for 5 days and lost 13 years of memory almost total amnesia. Also due to bitting my tongue I cant taste anything for at least 2 weeks.

I hope this helps.

It's so funny how you described the way you felt after. The part about feeling as if you are observing everyone from afar and like you're in an alternate reality. That is exactly how I feel after. Why do you think that is?

I'm not sure. I was diagnosed about 12 years ago but I can remember auras for most of my life. They felt like a controllable out of body experience or dream because for the most part I could snap out of them without any postical problems. But now after a tc my brain doesnt center itself the only thing I can think of is new memories are not being formed properly. I suffer from tle left side. I still have problems finding the right words when im speaking or memories my short term memory is terrible.

Im not sure if that helps

It really does help to hear other people having the same strange feelings..i also have a huge problem with memory. I have grand mal seizures. I have maybe one every few months now. It's so embarrassing and scary.. Dr.s say that the memory lapses are only temporary but like you I find them permanent and degenerative

I find it very helpful hearing other people's experiences. For instance when I started taking keppra I had side effects that my dr. say were not from the drug although when I found this site I realized many people had the same side effects I was experiencing.
By the way I hate keppra I have a very short attention span,which used to be a strength I could focus on a project or a task no problem, and now I'm very easily aggravated.

I've been off of my meds for years. The side effects made life almost unbearable. I was always exhausted and felt like I was sleep walking. Switched meds four times to no avail. Topamax was the lesser of the evils, for me at least. Have you tried that one yet? I will most likely be going back on meds this week since I have had a seizure up tic. What triggers yours?

Before I was diagnosed and only can remember having partial or complex partial seizures they were usually triggered by lack of sleep usually if I was hungover. And the first tc seizure I had was probably the same I was visiting my wifes cousins in scotland and in the morning I fell down. But It seems to be stress or lack of sleep are the main triggers and since I dont remember much of the last 13 years its hard to answer. How about yourself?

The same. Stress and sleep deprivation. It seems the older I get the easier I have them. Oh well guess it could be worse. Could be spontaneous explosive diarrhea :)

I have been having these complex partial (temporal lobe) seizures very strongly yesterday and today. Well i think i forgot to take my meds yesterday..?? that can be a big part of it, but like you said it is usually related to stress, lack of sleep for me. Today i am just dazed and confused so much i am scared to go out. I do not drive but do not want a T/C on a sidewalk in town. It just seems like its all i can do to just muddle through this day, slowly with a big headache.

:( I'm sorry you are dealing with that today. Those days suck. Maybe you can make it a movie day. Are you sore as well?

Thank you. I just have a killer headache and need naps. It is so nice out though and i need to do yard work or something. Also I feel afraid to stay home alone. I had sustained seizures recently; T/Cs that would not stop, lucky to have been found and put in hospital. If that happens when i am alone. What then?

I am also very scared to be alone. Lately my fear of death due to a seizure has gotten worse. Luckily my boyfriend and kids are usually around.

I'd rather be alone when I have my seizures,when people are around me they make to big a deal about my seizure.

I felt so afraid and strange after my last seizure. I'm normally very talkative,but couldn't formulate thoughts well enough to engage anyone. I felt like I was in an alternate reality. Anyone ever feel like this?

no , When I wake up I don't remember anything then it all comes back to me in awhile ,everything preceeding seizure, what I was doing ect . For me I feel sick like I have had the flu and I sleep a lot .Sometimes it takes a long time to feel normal again like a week or so . There is no confusion however and inability to speak ,save for the first few moments when I wake up from one .

Back
Top Bottom