Hi. I'm new here.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Karen

New
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm new here and new to using boards. So I'm a little "unsteady on my feet" but I was inspired by the things I've read here and thought it would be a nice place to visit.

I've had infrequent seizures since my first seizure at age 21 (30 yrs ago :eek:) usually years apart tho some were weeks apart. Each time I take an ambulance ride to the ER, because as my neuro says when I have a seizure I go big. I'm on Trileptal and Lamictal now (after trying many drugs I couldn't tolerate) but went about 15 yrs before going on E drugs. A big trigger for me is stress, but I can attribute most of my seizures to different meds I've taken. Not all of these meds are considered seizure risks, which is very frustrating. But I've come to the conclusion that I know myself and what I experience better than anyone and our bodies are as individual as we are.

This is a lot longer than I intended! It's good to be here :hello:!

Hi.

But I've come to the conclusion that I know myself and what I experience better than anyone and our bodies are as individual as we are.

I have come to your conclusion as well. A movie is better than a picture. Doctor's deal with pictures; we deal with movies.

There are many drugs that cause seizures. I have taken three, two of them antiepileptics, and they changed the nature of my seizures. Two made me feel I had even less control, and, at the time, gave me more seizures. Once I got off the medications, I felt more like myself.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you. It feels so good to be welcomed!:yippee: Love the movie analogy, MichaelJ and thinks for the helpful links Nakamova.

Last edited:
I began having seizures 12 years ago when I was 27. The drs have no idea what caused my epilepsy and still don't.

Through the years I've been on many different meds. Either they didn't work, caused seizures or I couldn't handle the side effects. It's not a 'one med works for everyone' thing. I've also found that there have been other meds, non anticonvulsants, that have caused me to have seizures too.

Stress is a huge seizure trigger for me and it is for many others too.

Some people think that they know what it's like before, during and after a seizure. But unless you actually have one then you have no idea. Trying to describe what it's like having a seizure to someone who doesn't is about impossible.

It's nice to meet you and type all you want!

Some people think that they know what it's like before, during and after a seizure. But unless you actually have one then you have no idea. Trying to describe what it's like having a seizure to someone who doesn't is about impossible.

Thank you Valeriedl for the affirmation. You couldn't have said it better!

Hi Karen! Nice to meet you. Sorry that you're going through this. I'm new too, but from what I've read this is a great group of people. Take care of yourself! <3

Hello Karen! I've had seizure since I was 7 (am 56 now). So I always feel sad for those of you who had them start when you were adults - that life change can be traumatic, I think!

Stress is a trigger for me, I know. If someone "emotionally vomits" on me (yells at me for no reason, takes their stress out on me, gets all up in my face in a nasty way), I'm pretty sure to have a seizure when I get home. The first time this happened, I came home, was going to make scrambled eggs, and ended up with a burned finger. Apparently during my seizure, I was touching the skillet that was heating up over a flame. Sigh. it wasn't an awful burn, but realizing that I did this during a seizure was awful!

Question: What are E drugs?

Nice to meet you!

Question: What are E drugs?
"E" is just forum shorthand for "Epilepsy", so E drugs = anti-seizure meds. :)

:shake:Thank you Ellesnzeebs and Pinkattitude for welcoming me! It's nice to meet another person who is new to the forum, Ellesnzeebs.

Thanks for the encouragement regarding stress, Pinkattitude. Wow, 49 years is a long time to deal with seizures and 7 is so young to process what was happening with you.

I know I can learn a lot from both of you; thank you for your kindness.:hello:

There have been many times that I don't know what an abbreviation is for something Pinkattitued is and I've had do ask. When I get an answer I realize how simple the abbreviation was. So if you're going to slap yourself on the forehead you might as well slap mine too!

:roflmao:
I don't think my arm will reach to Pittsburgh, but next time I pass through there I'll take you up on that! ;)

Last time I was there was in the early 80s! I lived in West Virginia and would take a puddle jumper airplane to Pittsburgh to connect to a larger plan heading to my mom's.

I lived in Tioga county in the early 70s, too. Long time ago, that!

Back
Top Bottom