Hi! New here :)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

SarahAVM

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks for such a great forum.

I'm Sarah and had a ruptured AVM (stroke) in 1997. I was put on phenobarbital for several years prophylactically. Switched neuros and found to not have any seizure activity (ever) and weaned.
Was fine for several more years but *begged* to be allowed to take Wellbutrin for anxiety, against doctor's advice (lowers seizure threshold). Signed my life away (AMA) and took it for the *best* three years of my life.
One year ago, while on Wellbutrin, during the worst, most stressful week of my life, I got a migraine that led to a grand mal seizure.
When I woke up in the hospital, I was off the Wellbutrin :( and on Keppra and Lexapro (anxiety?).
I've never been depressed, and stopped the Lexapro as it made me depressed, and instead on Magnesium, vitamin d and super b for anxiety (it's good, but not as good as Wellbutrin).
Anyhow, here I am 3 months later and noticing increased rage, anger, irritability, sadness, hopelessness. Except for today! Today I feel GREAT! Guess what, I forgot to take my Keppra this morning. So upon hours of reading, I'm discovering that Keppra can cause all of those psychotropic side effects.
I'm dying to wean off this Keppra now and wondering if anyone knows a wean schedule. I take 500mg in am 500mg in pm, mono therapy.

Thank you!!

Hi everyone, thanks for such a great forum.

I'm Sarah and had a ruptured AVM (stroke) in 1997. I was put on phenobarbital for several years prophylactically. Switched neuros and found to not have any seizure activity (ever) and weaned.
Was fine for several more years but *begged* to be allowed to take Wellbutrin for anxiety, against doctor's advice (lowers seizure threshold). Signed my life away (AMA) and took it for the *best* three years of my life.
One year ago, while on Wellbutrin, during the worst, most stressful week of my life, I got a migraine that led to a grand mal seizure.
When I woke up in the hospital, I was off the Wellbutrin :( and on Keppra and Lexapro (anxiety?).
I've never been depressed, and stopped the Lexapro as it made me depressed, and instead on Magnesium, vitamin d and super b for anxiety (it's good, but not as good as Wellbutrin).
Anyhow, here I am 3 months later and noticing increased rage, anger, irritability, sadness, hopelessness. Except for today! Today I feel GREAT! Guess what, I forgot to take my Keppra this morning. So upon hours of reading, I'm discovering that Keppra can cause all of those psychotropic side effects.
I'm dying to wean off this Keppra now and wondering if anyone knows a wean schedule. I take 500mg in am 500mg in pm, mono therapy.

Thank you!!

Hi Sarah :hello:

I actually made a video about how bad Keppra was for me.
It's under "30 years without a seizure and now doc wants to switch
me to Keppra". I did it for 24 hours---and quit due to awful side effects,
and research I found, similar to yours.

My suggestion is find a Doctor you like, to help you. We can give you
ideas---but obviously you need an MD to get you the prescription, and help you. :)

Be well....................:e: Happy you're here!

Tory

I'm in the process switch from Keppra to Lamictal. I was on keppra since my diagnosis 6 years ago. Somehow after my pregnancy it became ineffective. It's been a long road to happen because my neuros keep moving or leaving practice. I had blood work done and my new one called me to tell me a reduction timeline.

Now I'm wondering, since I was on it for so long, what I'll feel like once those side effects I'd gotten use to were are gone.

It's day 3 and so far not withdrawal feelings. So far so good!

Keppra is known to cause rage/depression. But then, so do a lot of the other AEDs. I've been on 3000 mgs for well over 10 years, but it is what is working for me. It is best to go off any AED slowly, otherwise you could go into a bad seizure. Notify your neuro and find something else.

Last edited:
Ya...I agree with you, Cint :)
Make sure to take is ***slowly*** and definitely do it through your doctor!

Katie....my best wishes to you! :cheers:

Tory

Back
Top Bottom