Hi and seizure dogs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I just joined the group. My daughter, age 5, has had epilepsy since the age of 6 months. We've been through a few drugs and gone as long as a year or more without a seizure, but when they come, they come in huge clusters. We've been trying for a while to get placed with a service dog, but the waits are astronomical. We have decided to try to buy our own dog and have it trained and we have a few good leads on this. I was wondering if any of you have ever dealt with services dogs and if you have any advice on getting one.

Here's a link to a discussion about seizure alert dogs. It's kind of a depressing thread because one of our members had a bad experience. Take her experience as a quick heads up to be careful, but look at the post I wrote with resources on training your own dog. Since your daughter's seizures are so few and far inbetween the dog may have to be professionally trained to recognize seizures. The dog probably won't be able to train itself. Also, your daughter is so young that a dog that isn't perfectly trained might be a problem. That said, if you want to start training your own dog, at least on the basic manners and behaviors, look in this thread. You would save months off the dogs training time, and might be able to do a deal to just get the alert or assist behavior done at the facility. But I'd ask them before you start in. (btw... the basic manners and behaviors that are expected of service animals are way beyond the average dog.)

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f34/completely-screwed-up-14841/

Back
Top Bottom