I have a question about nocternal seizures, which I would really like answered.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
So, I wake up sometimes in the night (or morning) with my pillow all wet from my mouth, occasionally I have a bitten tongue and all my muscles hurt like hell.

Obviously I know I have nocternal seizures, as well as the rest.
But I have never seen one, but obviously I don't make as much noise as I do when I am awake, because I have never woken anyone up.

Then today I was sleeping down my grandmothers house(my new tablets make me sleep about 6 hours a day, throughout the day)

I have this habit of just falling asleep, and was laid on my mother, we had been reading the paper and then I was just gone!!

Then according to them I started mumbling and twitched/shook a couple of times. Then I started to shake uncontrollably and I suppose I dribbled? Or was sick a little? But it was all quiet, just short breathing.

I was also very hot.

It is much different to anything I had had before.

Does anyone else have these?
Or can anyone else share experiences?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Zara-Newman

That is like my seizures in a lot of ways, the mumbling or groaning noise you make at the start of the seizure and twitching, then the violent movement of your body, dribbling from my mouth makes the pillow or sheet look like I spilt water on it. I tend to hold my breath. When I start to come around the pain is the first thing I notice, then the headache, I always keep a glass of water nearby because I will be dehydrated and the heat, I cannot stand how hot I get.

It is just completely different from my normal daily ones.
I wasn't sure if what happened today was actually a seizure or not, but it felt the same after.

But I didn't stop breathing as I do in my during the day ones, and my muscles weren't as tight.

I am glad to know my experience is like others, so I can put it down to a new seizure - and not worry.

Zara-Newman

Every part of my body becomes like a board and that is part of the reason I hurt myself.

That's how I go during the day, this time in my sleep I was tight everywhere, but it was more like a violent shaking - like I was really cold.
But I was unconscious.

Not stiff to the same extent I am during the day, it was much gentler.

Zara-Newman

Wish I could say it was gentle for me, but I have to have some fun I suppose.

I didn't mean gentle.
Not like a walk in the park - I still had to have the designated codine and hours sleep after.
But the way the muscles tensed weren't as violent.

Most of my seizures are grand mal nocturnal and that sounds like them. I might start mumbling or yelling followed by the shaking. I usually will bite my tongue and may lose bladder control. Afterwards I will be extremely tired with sore muscles and major headaches and poor memory. They usually happen not long before I would wake up. My wife says they last about ten minutes on average. It feels like a punch in the gut and takes a full day to recover. Sorry for your experience hope that helps.

It definitely helps.
I've been having them a lot lately. It's just that no one has ever seen one before and my mother kept telling me that it wasn't a seizure.

It felt like the aftermath though!
Mine was almost identical, except I have never lost control of my bladder though.

Thankyou for the help. X

Back
Top Bottom