I need help my poor head!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am 30 and I haveing been having increasing episodes of lost awareness which make me feel as if I am having a really intense daydream like my brain just zoned out, it happens at work under the bright lights, stores, taco bell, during night time driving, I actually made it home in a zoned out state. most times too me it seems liket the lights get brighter or dim a bit and then all of a suddened I am scared because I dont know where I am. and I can't stop staring, I sometimes feel nauseaous with a headache that is tight, and then burning, my vision blurs and my right side of my face feels funny, and then feels like something is running down the side of my face, if i am talking my words come out super loud or slurred and people ask me if I am going to faint, i feel the chills my heart racing and my back gets sweaty,it changes my whole mood and I can barely stand. and then I am like a zombie for like 20-30 mins with great weakness and I am exhausted with a headache for awhile after. I think sometimes my hand shakes or my head nods a little bit too. I am so scared, I have been sent home from work twice and I just don't know what do. I had my first episode I can remember at 11, then at 12, then during childbirth, etc pllease telll me what I should do.

Sounds super scary for you!! Have you ever been to a neurologist or diagnosed? How old is your little one? Have they ever happened when you've been alone with your child because that can be frightening for you and the little one.
They do sound like they could be partial seizures for sure. When you zone out are you aware of what is going on? Do you remember everything?
Did you tell anybody about them when you were 11 or 12?
The suddenly not knowing where you are could be something call jamais-vu.
The feeling afterwards of weakness and exhaustion could be the post-ictal stage of a seizure.
Have you even brought it up to your general physician?

Hi lilchocalatemama, welcome to CWE!

Definitely get in touch with your doctor, and see about getting a referral to a neurologist. Write down anything you can remember about the symptoms -- when they started, how long they last, if there are times of the day or month when they get worse, etc. The fact that they started when you were 11 and came back during childbirth makes me think that there may be a hormonal component in addition to the photosensitivity. (High levels of estrogen can be a seizure trigger for some folks). Worth mentioning to your doc.

If you can, avoid fluorescent or flickering lights, and try wearing polarized sunglasses to see if they help at all. There are also special lenses you purchase here: http://irlen.com/index.php

Best,
Nakamova

re

Thank you for you reply:) I never told anyone until this year about my episodes, my dad just never wanted to make me upset as a kid because I sometime would start to hyperventilate and then lose awarness. I think it could be triggered by my period...I tend to get very crazy around my time and as i get older i get worse. I have not seen a neurologist yet due to I never have time, I have 4 daughters and i am a single mom so time for anything for me is nonexistant right now, but I know i really need to go since these episode are coming more often now, I sometimes wake up at 2 or 3 am with a numb right leg or arm or hand, and i cant get back to sleep, so now i go to bed really late to avoid the interruped sleep cycle. I am so worried about the effects it has on my kids. my 4 year old has sleep terror fits in her sleep since about 9 months with stiff body, kicking flailing and shouting, is that my genectics if i have it?

There an be a genetic component to epilepsy, but at the moment there are only a few kinds that can be determined with genetic testing. Even then, it seems like many kinds of epilepsy are a combination of a genetic susceptibility (a lower seizure threshold) plus environmental triggers.

You 4-year-old may simply have a sleep disorder rather than anything epilepsy-related. For your (and her) peace of mind, I recommend that you ask her doctor about having a sleep study done. Her night terrors may be related to apnea or other sleep issues. they may simple be benign nightmares that she will grown out of.

Hi,

I just wanted to tell you I know how you feel, I have those episodes when my seizures occurs. When mine occur it happens mostly during the night but I already had one when I got my boots on and jacket took my car keys and was ready to start my car. My husband realized that I was not in the house and he ran outside and brought me back. When he called my name out louder I snapped out of it. Later my neurologist told us that I was having Complex partial seizures and said you can be awake somewhat not necessarily aware of your surroundings with these seizures. It was interesting to find out that this is why things were occuring that all these strange things I was doing during the night like getting up and playing with my contacts that they were my auras just before I have a seizure. My neuro prescribed me ativan. This was to given to me when the aura would occur to help prevent a seizure. I had severe headaches afterwards also. I hope you find answers to help you function throughout the day.

lilchocalatemama:
A single mom to 4 daughters! I salute you. I have 3 little ones aged 1, 2.5 and 5.5 but at least I have my husband by my side.
I hope you have lots of support! It sure sounds like you aren't getting a lot of sleep though. Are you remembering to take care of yourself?

One thing I want to point out is that in order to take super good care of your little girls, you need to make sure you're taking care of yourself too. I would look around in your area and get in touch with your insurance company if need be, and go over these symptoms with the dr. Its better to be safe than sorry. Im a mom of three little boys, ages 7, 6 and 5 years old. I agree, kids do keep us on our toes! But for the safety of you and your kids, you need to bring this to a doctor's attention. The worry I have, is if this were to happen while driving? If that happened and you had your kids in the car, the outcome could be tragic. I just want to make sure things are taken care of and everything turns out ok for everyone! :) :hug:

re

Thank you to all:) I am realizing that raising my four girl alone is not an easy task, and so my stress level has been thru the roof, I am trying to be better though. so the last day I was working I was at my register when I got nauseaous, the world started to feel really bright, I told someone it is so bright in here and then my vision got really blurry and I guess i stared for a minute before i came to and realized that I was completely lost in the middle of a transaction:( I had to sit down my back was sweaty and I felt stiff and my tongue was heavy it was like, my words were slurring, and they took my blood pressure which was 140/100 and the whole process was a dreamy haze, i just felt like crying. and I went home and passed out, I had the same after headache for 24 hrs! I begged for a appt for the 30th because the next day they were like we need a dr note before you can work. so I was off for 3 days before I finally got in. The lights at that office were horrible and I could feel my stomach startingf to turn and my head hurt and my pulse was fast and pressure high, and when I was talking to the dr her face started getting kinda blurry and and the room getting hazy she left after asking me about drugs lol! and said she would run some tests. then the nurse came in and was like the dr wants me to tell you that you were having a partial, she could see it in your eyes and face,:( but dont cry! so here i am w:ponder:ith no license, disability until 8/30 and an eeg in 2 weeks...what can I expect now? because I cant go bcak to work with a release, is this normal? what can I do?

Can you get the doctor to write something that okays you for work, and explains what partial seizures are, so your workplace will understand?

Well, I understand how frustrating that is, I haven't had my licence since Sept./08. I had several complex partial seizures, surgery and presently I have been suffering with severe headaches. Although, knock on wood I will be able to get my licence this month with the ok of my neurologist. I live out of town and in a small community with no store, library or anything but houses and a church which my church. I just keep busy by going for walks w/my dog, exercise doing pilates which really relaxes me and read but it hasn't always been easy. The only thing that has helped me through this journey has been my relationship with God. I had gone back to work in Apr./10 after surgery and worked until Oct./11 that was when my severe headaches began . They were so severe that fluorescent light , loud noises was untolerable. The last couple of weeks it seems to be better. I hope you able to find something to keep you busy and as well as your mind busy. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom