I think i had my first seizure in my sleep last night.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rosebud22

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Rose and i am 25.I think i experianced a seizure last night in my sleep. when i woke up this morning i thought it was just a dream but when i started to remember more i got a bit worried and thought it would be a good idea to seek some advice.i would be greatful for any advice or reasurence that it was not a seizure.i will start from the begining.i live on my own with my 4 year old daughter so there was no one to witness this event.

At about midnight i decided to go to bed,i felt like i had been in bed about 5 or 10 mins when i started to hear the washing machine on downstairs in the kitchen,it was really starting to bother me...like i couldnt sleep,but it doesnt usually bother me as i often set the washing machine away before i go to bed.but as i was listening to it i started to rememer that i hadnt switched the washing machine on so it cant have been that....but i didnt get up for some reason to check why i could hear the noise,it was odd...i felt i was drifting off to sleep with all this noise around me,as i was drifting off to sleep i felt like the house was shaking....then i started to feel dizzy in my dream...but i felt like i was only half asleep like it wasnt time to dream yet..the next thing i remember was dreaming that i was standing in my mums kitchen and feeling really dizzy then collapsing and then going into what seemed a typical epileptic seizure...i was staring at my mum when i had the seizure in my dream and was trying to ask her to help but just muffeld sounds were coming out...my body was shaking,it seemed to last for about 10 seconds and then i woke up...i remember being worried that i had wet myself but i hadnt...i then felt like i was really scared,but not because of the dream i had just had but just a sense of being scared for no reason,i dont know why i didnt get up or question why the house was shaking or why i could hear the washing machine when it wasnt on, i just kind of went with it...i also just felt like before i got dizzy that everything was speeding up,like the outside world and i was just lying in bed... it was all just really weird and then i must of fallen asleep properly and woke up as normal around 7.

I feel almost silly posting on here but i just feel really weird about what happend,i would be greatful for any advice,even for somene who is epileptic to say i am being daft and that it was nothing.

thankyou
Rose.

Hi!
Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the group. I'm sure you will get some good advice here about what might have happened and what you should do about it. There are many very knowledgeable people here to help out.

My son has absence seizures and I am fairly new here so I don't feel as though I know enough to offer any advice.

You found a great place to interact and learn!

Is there a chance that there was an earthquake in your area? I live in Illinois and earthquakes are not common, but we had one a few months back and it did sound like the washing machine was off balance and the bed was shaking. It was really a strange feeling. (I am not saying you did not have a seizure...you may have).

:cheers:

Hi, Rose,

I'm not a doctor and it's pretty hard for me to tell what really happened for you. It may have been a seizure, or may not have been. If you really think you had a seizure you may want to go see your Primary Care Physician and tell her what happened. If she thinks it was a seizure she'll refer you to a neurologist, or a neurologist who specializes in seizures (an epi).

When things happen at night, sometimes sleep disorders also mimic epilepsy. It takes a fully trained neurologist to tell the difference. Here's a site that lists many of the different kinds of sleep disorders. http://www.sleepeducation.com/Disorders.aspx

Here are links that describe different types of seizures. See if any of them sound familiar to you. Sometimes people with partial seizures have them and don't even know that's what they are. Espeically people with Temporal Lobe epilepsy.
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/types_seizures
http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/answerplace/medical/seizures/types/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seizure_types

Let us know how you are doing and what the doctor says, okay?

Some things that I always 'look for' if I think I may have had a sz during the night and I don't remember my husband waking up to help me or I don't see a drool rag near me (usually my husband gets me a hand towel if I am drooling excessivly during/after a sz.) I try to think of what is different around/about me.
Am I overly tired for no reason? Usually my whole body is a lot more tired when I have had a sz. overnight than if I know I haven't had one.

Did I stay up late or have a hard time falling asleep? Sleep-deprivation, esp. continually is not good for someone who has E.

Do I have a funny taste in my mouth or is my mouth full of sores from biting my cheecks or tongue? I always get a really bad "metallic" taste in my mouth after I have had a sz. Some get aura's I get a bad taste no matter how big or small the sz is.
Most of the time my tongue is swollen if I bite it and my cheecks are really chewed-up.

Good Luck figuring out what is going on, it's always frustrating not knowing what is wrong. Check out those links that Endless posted. Any links here pertaining to Epilepsy are always worth checking out!

Hi Rose, welcome to the forum. :hello:

... I think i experianced a seizure last night in my sleep. when i woke up this morning i thought it was just a dream but when i started to remember more i got a bit worried and thought it would be a good idea to seek some advice. ...

FWIW, my wife has had several mornings where upon wakening she related a dream that she had had a seizure (ie. she wasn't sure if it was a dream or real), but I was able to bear witness that she had not. Usually when she does have a nocturnal seizure, it's a TC and there is indirect evidence (sore calf muscles, bit tongue, incontinence, etc.).

... I feel almost silly posting on here but i just feel really weird about what happend,i would be greatful for any advice,even for somene who is epileptic to say i am being daft and that it was nothing.

No need to feel silly for posting any concern here. We're a very supportive group. :)

Back
Top Bottom