inherit epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lia

New
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here. I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 last summer and have been seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist. I have taken anti-anxiety meds off and on for 10 years, i started taking lamictal for a while but i got a severe rash and i was told not to take it anymore. I am back on anti-anxiety/depression medication. i decided to find my biological father and i did finally, we started talking through e-mail just recently. he has epilepsy, he had his first seizure and was diagnose at age 29. he doesn't have convulsions, just loses consciousness or stares out. he also has many of the same mood problems as me. Is it possible that i have inherited what he has? If so, is there a way for me to know for sure or do i just wait and see? If there are tests, are they expensive, is it worth it to check into or should i just let it go?

It's very possible that you've inherited the epilepsy from him. I don't think there are tests for it at this point though, it's more anecdotal, like "Uncle Joe had seizures; Cousin Mabel had spells, and remember how Great-Grandpa Millard used to space out..."

I think you should just let it go. It might be useful if there's a particular treatment that worked for your father that might be more likely to work for you as well. On the other hand, individual factors like hormones, diet, stress might factor in as well.

It's totally possible you've inherited epilepsy from your father, if his is caused by DNA expression, and not brain trauma. Do you have other symptoms besides the mood changes?

Certain genetically-linked forms of epilepsy can be genetically tested for, but you probably would have to have an idea which one they should be looking for before getting it done. As for price -- I have no idea, but it's likely costly.

It's worth looking into. Many members of my family have epilepsy, a lot of whom i didn't even know about until i was diagnosed. On my dad's side as well as my mum's. Mostly tonic clonics, but there's a good mix of all sorts (i couldn't have inherited expensive ornaments or something?)

I wouldn't worry about it too much for now, unless you've been having some signs of epilepsy as well as your depression/anxiety problems. I think this is something that you should discuss with your doctor, to get his/her opinion.

Well, I’m also taking medicine for a low thyroid but I don't know how much that has to do with it. The reason I started going to the therapist was because during the summer I had some kind of episode that scared me, I thought I was going crazy. I was standing in my backyard and my kids were with me and my husband was cooking on the grill. He said he wanted to run to the store and I knew he was going to get cigarettes so I was mad and we had a very small argument. As soon as he walk in the house I turned to look at my daughter and everything changed, it’s hard to explain, I heard something that I later though was just siren from an ambulance. I didn't hear anything else, I think I walked around. I thought I saw myself doing something. It was like I was there but I wasn’t. Then almost immediately I got upset because I didn't know what was wrong with me and I took the kids inside. I was upset for the rest of the night and just went to bed. Two days later I started going to the therapist and the psychiatrist and the psychiatrist said it was just an obsessive thought.

It seems to me that the docs dismissed that very quickly...

Was this a one off episode or has it happened a few times? How long did it last?

Is epilepsy inherited?

Just because you have a parent, sibling, cousin or aunt who has epilepsy, doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll have it also.

In fact, if you have a close relative with epilepsy, the chance of you having epilepsy is only about 2-8%, depending on the specific type of epilepsy.

The risk in the general population is about 1-2%. On the other hand, there is a 92-98% chance for the close relative of someone with epilepsy to NOT have the same condition!

So, even though the risk in families with epilepsy is higher than in the general population, most people with epilepsy do not have any relatives with seizures, and the great majority of parents with epilepsy do not have children with epilepsy.

Not everyone who carries genes making them more likely to develop epilepsy will do so. Even if the genes are passed on, not every generation in a family will have seizures. And so, like diabetes, epilepsy may skip a generation.

While epilepsy cannot currently be cured, for some people it does eventually go away. One study found that children with idiopathic epilepsy, or epilepsy with an unknown cause, had a 68 to 92 percent chance of becoming seizure-free by 20 years after their diagnosis.

The odds of becoming seizure-free are not as good for adults, or for children with severe epilepsy syndromes. But it is possible that seizures may decrease or even stop over time. This is more likely if the epilepsy has been well-controlled by medication or if the person has had epilepsy surgery.

The Genetics of Epilepsy

Clinical tests suggest that genetic abnormalities may be some of the most important factors contributing to epilepsy. Some types of epilepsy have been traced to an abnormality in a specific gene.

Researchers estimate that more than 500 genes could play a role in this disorder. However, it is increasingly clear that, for many forms of epilepsy, genetic abnormalities play only a partial role, perhaps by increasing a person’s susceptibility to seizures that are triggered by an environmental or external factors.

Like photosensitivity. (Did you know that 25 percent of people with primary generalized epilepsy are photosensitive?)

While abnormal genes sometimes cause epilepsy, they also may influence the disorder in subtler ways…

For example, one study showed that many people with epilepsy have an abnormally active version of a gene that increases resistance to drugs. This may help explain why anticonvulsant drugs do not work for some people.

Genes also may control other aspects of the body’s response to medications and each person’s susceptibility to seizures, or seizure threshold. Abnormalities in the genes that control neuronal migration – a critical step in brain development – can lead to areas of misplaced or abnormally formed neurons in the brain that can cause epilepsy.

And in some cases, genes may contribute to development of epilepsy even in people with no family history of the disorder. These people may have a newly developed abnormality, or mutation, in an epilepsy-related gene.

References:
http://www.healingwell.com/library/epilepsy/info1.asp
http://www.healthcentral.com/ency/40...00044_2_2.html
http://www.geocities.com/geneinfo/co...epilepsyb.html

Lia -- You might want to keep a journal to record anytime you feel "off". Some seizures are mild "spacing out" spells, so it's possible you've experienced something along those lines. If you have amy more, or they seem to be increasing in frequency or duration, then it's a good idea to have a record and a description to give to a doctor/neurologist. here's hoping that the episode you had was a one-off.

thank you all for being so nice and helpful.

what is a one-off?

i have had times where i am, as my mom used to say "staring out into space" but i didn't feel it was anything other than me being tired. my husband will wave his hand in front of me and say hello are you there, but i can see and here everything he's doing, i still don't respond. it only lasts a few seconds so i just figure that is nothing.

thank you all for being so nice and helpful.

what is a one-off?

i have had times where i am, as my mom used to say "staring out into space" but i didn't feel it was anything other than me being tired. my husband will wave his hand in front of me and say hello are you there, but i can see and here everything he's doing, i still don't respond. it only lasts a few seconds so i just figure that is nothing.

A one-off is a one time only experience.

Those staring spells could be simple partial seizures. My partner does the same thing. He says he's conscious the whole time, but just feels compelled to "finish" the stare before responding. As for the being conscious part -- I know sometimes he's not conscious (although he thinks he is), because I ask him questions for him to answer when he comes back from the stare, and he doesn't always remember everything that's been said or asked.

How is your sleep lia? Do you move around a lot, talk or do other things like that? How do you feel when you wake up in the mornings -- do you ever wake up with headaches? Ever get twitchy limbs you can't control when you're tired?

that sounds like when i stare, sometimes i feel a little confused afterwards.

I never really feel like i get enough sleep, my husband says i talk in my sleep and he says he's seen me walk in my sleep once. I do get twitches in my arms, again not very often and only for a few seconds so i've never tried to stop them.

I don't remember ever having a headache first thing in the morning but i've had a steady headache for about four days now only on the left side of my head, i think its from starting back on Lexapro. I may stop taking it until i see my doctor again.

By walk in your sleep, do you mean you were making walking motions in bed? Or do you mean you were sleep-walking?

Sorry for the twenty questions.

he said i got out of bed walk to the other side of the room and then came back

i'm ok with the questions, i'm just glad to have someone to talk to about everything. the past year has been very confusing and my therapist doesn't seem to be helping very much.

lia, I have been looking into this aspect pretty deeply lately. I have LTL, 2 of my (now) grown kids have started testing and so far have abnormal alpha waves. My grandson, 4 months old now, will see a neuro today. My brother has what has been called syncope. Now, suspect is seizures and he will check that further. When I was diagnosed last year, some pieces started fitting into the puzzle. My son's odd twitches and behaviors, and my daughter's "spaciness" started making sense. I also noticed my new grandson starting to have movements that look like seizures. The genetic link is clear to me, as I also look back on some of my fathers behaviors. I never connected the dots until I found out what was wrong with me. We are applying for a clinical trial to put us under a microscope to see what is going on. Mostly for the free medical care for my kid's who don't have insurance. Hopefully, to help others. Nothing like watching your baby grandson seize and knowing that I carried that and passed it on. We (my hubby and I) went to UVa. for genetic counseling while I was pregnant with our first child (new post to follow on that) but didn't have all the info we needed then that we have now.
So, yes, genetics COULD play a part, but you would need to talk with a geneticist and the neuro. to professionally make the connection. Best wishes to you, we all know what you are going through. This is the very best place for support and info that I have ever found. :banana:

Sleepwalking could be something or it could be nothing. What about regular nausea or unexplained vomiting? Mysterious abdominal pains?

Back
Top Bottom