Intense deja vu often. Temporal Lobe Epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Lately I've been getting deja vu a lot. A friend of mine told me to look up temporal lobe epilepsy. I usually have it most days, in differing intensitys/lengths. Sometimes it will last only a few minutes too all day. I thought I was going crazy because it feels like I'm just going in loops. I feel so certain that today happened before. Even posting this.

I was told it could be something to do with hitting my head. Some time in November my head was bashed into a door frame quite hard. There was a very large jagged bump, and there is still a cartilage bump where I was hit. I stayed up for a couple of hours after that too make sure I did not get a concussion. If it makes any difference It was on my forehead right above my eyebrow closer to the middle left.

Lately I've been forgetting main words while talking much more often than usual, and getting the deja vu much more, and my memorys not that great.

Some background information: Also I am 15 years old and a girl, healthy. My mom has multiple sclerosis. When I was born I had a very high white bloodcell count, the doctors thought I had cancer but the tests showed negative.

Welcome to CWE, LFA

I also get frequent deja-vus when my seizures are acting up. My dad also had MS so that definitely is something to think about though I don't know of any proof that there's a connection.

As for forgetting simple words, you're not the only one. I have ... I have a... Ummm..... a TENDENCY!!!, that's it! I have a tendency to forget my words too!

Also I moved your post to the foyer so that more people will see it & be able to answer & welcome you here

Welll, first

I want to say hi, and welcome to CWE. :) I'm Meetz, and it's very nice to "meet" you.

You've come to the right place to try to gather information, and from what you're describing, you may very well be onto something.

HOWEVER: You NEED to get into the doctor, and have a neurological workup done. This would include an EEG (preferably 24 to 48 hours so that the activity you describe can actually be found, instead of one of the 20 minute to 2 hour thingamajobies) and an MRI to start out with.

The EEG will give you and the doctor a "snapshot in time" picture of what's goinig on in your head WHILE the EEG is hooked up to you. The MRI on the other hand will tell you and the doctor if there is any PHYSICAL abnormality (scarring, lesion, missing sections, etc) that may be causing the deja vu to occur.

Sadly, E(pilepsy) shows up at any age--up to and including the 80s. Sometimes the reason is known, sometimes it's not.

In the meantime, start keeping a journal. This will be useful to show your doctor--and can really help them to help you with treatment. I have a great list of things to put in it, if you're interested.

You've found a wonderful place to be, and lots of people to help you out, so don't be afraid to ask any questions. We'll be here for ya. Mr B, our host, has built us an AWESOME home here, so feel free to check it out.

Take care.

Meetz
:rock:

It sounds like your injury was near the temporal lobe, so it's very possible that the episodes of deja vu that you are experiencing are resulting from misfiring in the temporal lobe area. As to whether it's seizure activity, that's a diagnosis that is best made in consultation with an neurologist and with the EEG and MRI tests that Meetz describes above. I recommend that you see a doctor as soon as possible, and make sure they know exactly what's been going on, including the memory issues. Write down information/questions for the doctor, and if possible, have a friend accompany you.

In the meantime, be extra careful with your health -- avoid over exertion, get plenty of sleep, eat well-balanced meals, stay away from alcohol and other physiological stressors.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi there

I used to have deja-vu often too. Longer than normal, but not for entire days. It was the tip of my left temporal lobe (which has been chopped out) where the problems were.

One of the most NB things I discovered in my student life were the details of my memory weaknesses. I gave me a lot of confidence. I really recommend doing early tests.

Hi LFA, welcome to the forum. :hello:

I agree with Nakamova.

i'm like epileric up there, on a bad day when my seizures are messing up, i seem to get some intenseeeeeeee de ja vus and have never thought til now it might be the epilepsy
but as meetz said, start yourself a diary and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom