Introducing myself

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am here because my 16 year old son was diagnosed with epilepsy in November of 2012. There is no history on either side of the family. I was shocked with the diagnosis. He has had two more seizures since the initial one, and all seem to be triggered by lack of sleep. His diagnosis was genetic generalized epilepsy with tonic clonic upon wakening. He currently takes Keppra XR 1000 mg, but I am looking to supplement with diet and vitamins/minerals, although I know very little about either. I have read good things about magnesium, so that is what is interesting me now. I am looking forward to learning from all of you on this forum. I am new to it all.

Hi redbirdgirl

I was also diagnosed at 18. I know how he feels dealing with seizures at that age is difficult at best. I am currently taking 3500mg of Keppra a day. I also take a multi vitamin every morning. Keppra makes me very sleepy and makes it almost impossible to function. The vitamin does give me more energy and it cuts back on the Kepprage which was pretty severe before. I have not tried magnesium but I know a lot of other people on this forum who have. I am just giving you my experience hope it helps. Welcome to CWE and I'm sure you will hear from other people with more experience with suppliments and diet

Hello! My daughter is 15 and was diagnosed with JME last year. She is taking 250mg of Lamictal XR. The doctor also prescribed 1mg folic acid and told us to have her take a multivitamin. I have added magnesium and most recently started some major dietary changes. Welcome to CWE and I hope you find it as helpful a resource as I have.

How much magnesium did you add? My son takes his meds. at night, and I was planning to have him take mag. in the morning. Is your daughter dealing epilepsy well? My son's only problem is when I won't let him go anywhere because he won't get adequate
sleep.

Hello,
I was diagnosed with Epilepsy about a year ago, I'm 25. When I was first put on Keppra (at the same dose at your son) my doctor also recommended looking into probiotics and a prenatal vitamin. I know that taking a prenatal vitamin maybe a bit comfortable for your son, but it can help mellow the mood swings, depression, and sleeplessness that are related to taking such high doses of Keppra, but I would speak to your doctor first.

The doctor did suggest a good vitamin, but since I don't know much about vitamins, I did not know which would be a good brand to get for him. I ended up buying Power Teen for Him, and one of my nutrition friends looked at it and said it was not the best. Thanks for any suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom