Introduction

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advorpt

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm on the high end of 40 and have had E (formerly diagnosed as migraine) and migraines since 1976 following a head injury from an auto accident. Some of the sensory symptoms I have had nearly my entire life.

I get simple partials (largely occiptal lobe with some temporal/parietal at times). I also am prone to acephalgic migraine. My seizures have never generalized and I never lose awareness or consciouness. If anything, I become more acutely aware of things. I guess that's a change of consciousness, rather than a loss of it. Some may consider changes of consciousness as complex partials...

In any case, most of my seizures are vision related - everything will go "flat", like I lose all depth perception and someone has turned the contrast up, I'll see brightly pulsating colored spots, or flashing bands of light around my peripheral vision ( when I go from a bright place to a dark one). Others seizures are sensory oriented - a change in consciousness where I'll suddenly feel like I'm floating, or moving, when I'm not. Sometimes I'll just suddenly feel like I'm "thick"...this is hard to describe. The closest I can come is that it feels like I'm expanding outward and upward. There are times when an intense ringing in my ears and a marked increase in heart rate will occur along with any of these. Sometimes a feeling of intense panic will accompany that. Those are odd because I *know* the fear is irrational, but my body can't reconcile it. Those are infrequent. Also, I can recall a few times, also very infrequent, when I thought I smelled something burning (and ran around the house like a nut trying to figure out what it was.)

The acephalgic migraines used to scare the hell out of me because in addition to the typical scintillating scotoma, I'd have slurred speech and some coordination difficulty. One of them even gave me a blind spot in one eye that lasted almost a month - until the next episode "fixed" it. Those were far more alarming than the simple partials, by far.

I do not take any typically prescribed AEDs. In addition to a multi vitamin suppplement, a calcium & minerals supplement and a mostly healthy diet...I take Omega 3 supplements daily (2 grams) and have since 2002. This completely eliminated the acephalgic migraines I used to get regularly, and reduced the simple partials substantially. I haven't had a migraine since May 2002.

For the past six weeks I have been taking Piracetam (2.4 grams) (in conjunction with a Lecithin supplement) and this has completely eliminated the simple partials so far. I know Piracetam has been used abroad for myoclonus, and I do not have that, so go figure. Prior to starting Piracetam I was getting simple partials regularly. I still try to avoid known triggers (flickering lights, strobes, glare, too much movement on a tv/movie screen, inadequate sleep or staying up really late, excessive stress), but so far, so good. I feel great and more clear headed and focused than I have been in ages.

Compared to a lot of people with E, I seem to have it easy.

:hello: Advorpt

Welcome to the CWE Forum, and glad you've
stopped by. Sorry to hear that you've experienced
migraines and had head injury. Hope the Piracetam
and Lecithin is working for you!

:)

Hello and thanks! There is a lot of great information here!

I seem to be doing great (so far) on the Omega 3 / Piracetam & Lecithin. No migraines and now no partials either. I'm wondering if anyone else has had any degree of success with Piracetam. Then again my E is very mild compared to what so many others have to cope with so I don't know how effective it would be.

Hi advorpt, welcome to the forum. :hello:

What country are you in? If the USA, how do you get the Piracetam?

It's good to hear that the diet & Omega 3 helped with your migraines and seizures. :)

Hi and thanks! :) Great place you have here. I'm in the USA (southeastern Florida) and get it via mail order.

I see. I had read that customs sometimes confiscates mail order shipments of Piracetam because it is not approved by the FDA (yet?). I guess you have not had any trouble like that?

No trouble at all yet. Geez, I hope I won't have any problems getting it in the future....

It seems to be on the FDA's orphan drug list for now. It is odd that Levetiracetam (as Keppra) - and a Piracetam analogue - was approved and is in use for various types of E, while Piracetam is still out in limbo here in the US.

Great to hear a postive story.
I have never heard of acephalgic migraines. I had migraines for 30 yrs and was relieved of them when I started taking magnesium.
My daughter is the one having seizures, and she also had a terrible vision loss, but we came to the conclusion that it was Tegretol that was producing the blurred vision. It could have also been seizure activity, but it was not something we knew about. The episodes lasted from 20 min to 3 days. and seemed to taper off after a month off of Tegretol.
Welcome.

Hello to you! Acephalgic migraines are the kind with the visual disturbances and other symptoms, but no actual head pain. I think they're now just classified as "migraine aura without headache". Again, I feel somewhat fortunate because I know so many people who have pain that will utterly wipe them out - sometimes for days. I never had any pain at all, but the other symptoms were terrifying. I'm glad to hear that magnesium cleared the migraines up for you! It is amazing how different things work for different people. For me it was Omega 3.

I have read about Tegretol and vision loss... Glad your daughter is off of it. It seems to have many unpleasant effects for a lot of people. How old is she?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom