Jobs for Epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am a Correctional Officer, diagnosed 4 months ago with partial seizures due to brain surgery in Jan. I am going to have to quit if we don't get these under control. But I am a singlemom and need a source of income. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

I'm sorry :( I wish I had suggestions. I am also looking for a job, and my husband is out of work too!!

I wish you the best of luck, I hope you can get some answers and find a solution!

Hi raptor9117,

Welcome to CWE. Sorry to see your epilepsy was brought on by brain surgery.

I had brain surgery in March last year & since the surgery my seizures have been under control. Before my surgery I had a lot of trouble holding down a paid job as I would get stressed or overtired which would bring on a seizure. I am unemployed at the moment & looking for paid work. While looking for work I keep myself busy by doing voluntary work.

This thread might be of interest
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f20/can-you-work-epilepsy-16419/

I hope you can get your seizures under control.

Last edited:
Sorry I can't offer advice :(
I just want to wish you the best, a lot of people on this site are in similar positions, so if nothing else you've got people to talk to.

I'm out of work next year too :(

I'm one of the lucky one as I book corporate travel. Since my seizures came back in March my company has set me up at home. The biggest problem is the stress I deal with on a daily basis which triggers my seizures. I would love to find a less stressful job that would still pay the bills but im afraid it probably does'nt exist. There are customer service jobs that can be done from home. One company I can think of is Alpine Access. Its not the best pay and I think you a independent contractor which means no benefits. Hope that helps and good luck in your search.

You might look into training for web design/development since those kinds of jobs would allow you to work from home at least part of the time.

I'm recently out of work too. I plan on going back to college to do admin or something, or pharmaceuticals if i can get into it.

I think that because of the benefits i'm on at the moment i might be limited in what voluntary work i can do, but i'm definitely planning on going back to college so i can get a better job at the end of it.

you can not quit can you just go sick until settled or sideways job invalidity retirement...it do seem unfair and not right if got quit

I work as a Staff Nurse in a NHS hospital here in the UK.
Maybe the rules are a bit different here, as it would be very hard for my employer to be able to get rid of me on Health Grounds.
Unless my disability was putting myself or others in danger they cant dismiss me.
Our UK benefit system means that in such an event I would be entitled to state benefits anyway.
Not that I would want to lose my job, as it is something I enjoy greatly.

I think the trouble isnt so much getting jobs with epilepsy,obviously there are jobs we can't really do(working at heights etc) but getting jobs with epilepsy,Just due to the stigma that surrounds epilepsy.We know it's unfair it's just getting the employers to get the same mindset.There are some out there but not enough by a long shot.Personally i never say i have epilepsy on a job application,i mean if it comes down to the guy wit epilepsy and the guy who does not-who do you think the employee will pick??? I'd rather get my foot in the door first then perhaps explain,just my thoughts.

I know what you are saying neil.
I think a lot of people do this with all forms of illness (including pregnant women).

I did have a situation at work once where I was able to use my epilepsy in a tribunal to prevent changes to my working conditions.
I told the tribunal that any change in my working hours would effect my sleep pattern and medication thus increasing the risk of fits.
I pointed out that if I suffered a fit following such a change then they would be responsible.
The occupational health Dr wasnt prepared to disagree with this (I guess if he had he would be taking on the responsibility).
So the tribunakl ruled in my favour.
I can remember walking home that day and praying to my Father in Heaven thanking him for my Epilepsy (and for the medication that helps control it).

Yes ive lost two jobs to epilepsy,one foreman refused to work with me because "I had that"Took them to a tribunal an won,took over a year and believe me,i never got a years salary.
The other one is too long to explain on here,i just didn't have the heart to take it to a tribunal,couldnt face another year off all the crap that goes with it.It was the last time i ever put down as having epilepsy on a job application.

Mind you im self employed so i had to prove i had been paid an hourly rate which i did,so i won although the company knew i had epilepsy when i started.Yes it's hard to get people to stand up along side you.I found that out as well.Im glad every thing worked out in the end,it is very stress full to say the least,all the best.

Back
Top Bottom