Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

janet11

New
Reaction score
Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but has anyone had issues with Keppra? Got it yesterday and reading all negative and doc only said drowsiness and uncoordinated that would go away. Scared to take it. Heard panic attacks mood swings rage.

I take 3000 mgs. of Keppra and it is one AED that has helped control my seizures. Mood swings are listed as a side effect for many of the meds, so it all depends on the individual.

Have been taking generic Keppra since 2006. It has worked very well for me. Everyone is different. Unless you try it, you don't know.
Good Luck!
M

Lots of people take Keppra with absolutely no issues. My daughter was one who had terrible issues with it - but please don't let that scare you off! She's taking a different drug now - she's having no side effects, but it's one that doesn't work for lots of other people. As Cint said above, everyone is different.

The advantage of knowing all the possible side effects is that you can recognize them if they happen to you. Don't be afraid to discuss any issues with your doctor.

I'm on 2000 mg 2x/day. Drowsiness and minor mood issues, but they don't effect me much at all. See how things go. Any issues and I'm sure there is someone here who has dealt with it.

Hi Janet-I was terribly allergic allergic to Kepra, but seem to be the the only person of MANY I have heard of that has had any problem with it at all. Most everyone I have spoken with that is on it has had good results. Actually,I think Im a bit envious! Tegeretol is the only thing I can take take. you will not know ubtil you try. Best of luck :')

I take keppra. 1500 mg/day. Can't say I don't have issues with it. At times moody and have to watch the rage issue. Sometimes wonder what kind of person I would be without it. Have to remind myself that things could be worse. At least it seems to be working at controlling my seizures.

Just started 1000 mg Keppra /day about 2 wks ago (switched from Depakote) and the mood swings have been a little hard to ignore (not so much anger which is cool I guess :)

My doc mentioned side effects going away after a few months as well so I'm hoping that's the case. It's encouraging to hear it's worked well for some folks though. Best of luck!!

I'm getting ready to transition to Keppra XR (from Dilantin) and I was concerned about all the stuff I read on here about the mood swings/anger. I discussed this with my neurologist and while she says it could happen it's been her experience that it doesn't happen that often and usually isn't much of an issue. I'm pretty excited to try it. It will be nice to not have to get my blood level checked every few months and I'm not going to miss some of the other side effects, like bone loss, Vitamin D deficiency, tremors, bruising.......
I will report back on how I do with Keppra XR. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom