keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

alex

New
Reaction score
i'm being weened off keppra. i have noticed i'm gettin very dizzy & nausious i'm not hungry at all.

is this normal?

anyone got any storys about keppra.

:banana:

I was so dizzy from taking keppra I didn't notice a difference when being weaned off.

I don't remember my appetite increasing or decreasing but I did put on a lot of weight.

Last edited:
My stint with Keppra didn't last long, I felt sick and dizzy, like a vertigo feeling. I was only on it a few months.

I take 3000mg keppra xr and I have no patiance, and get extremely irritated, pretty much child like behavior. Then I wonder if it is just in my head, and I am making it out to be more than it is, which is another side effect in itself.
It is very important for me to take it at the same time each day. I am still experiencing simple partial seizures, but I am not a doctor.. Just a patient!

Mt daughter was on keppra and started to have suicdial thoughts. They put her on a watch and said that it was the medication. Please pay close attention to the medication that we take.

Keppra

I had vertigo and visual problems when i started Keppra, and stayed on it for 1 year. I had vertigo before medication, and my seizures never got under control, so i am looking to go back on it, and get to a least 1500 mg/day. Did anyone else get really sad, like i cried for a few weeks when beginning low dosage and for about 1 week when i upped it. But i can tell you, i never had the floor tilt up at 45 degrees until i started taking Keppra. And i don't know if Kepprage hit me or not--I was in a desperate state all of the time...and emotionally needy, and became angry a lot when i wasnt getting my needs met from my family, friends, boyfriend, etc.

I think I my experience was the same as machu's I know if I miss a dosage I get very dizzy too, i get that vertigo feeling too and I am a bear to be around.

I've only been on pheno, dilantin, depakote and neurontin over the last 30 yrs so I don't know anything about the other drugs but I would say I liked neurontin the best but it didn't control my seizures as much as keppra. That being said keppra I have found keppra to be better then the other drugs listed.

i'm so glad no shame said about crying & emotions. anything sets me off i'm the teariest person i know. i blame the tablets i blame them for everything. it's hard for me to say weather i got rage & depression from startin keppra, as i had only got epilepsy due to a head injury so that's why i'm on keppra. after the head injury i was in a very low angry place anyway.

My daughter on keppra since 1/23/09/ UGHHHHHH... Shes 16, 118, 5'4... at 1000 mg a day she was a zombie and was seeing herself shoot herself and wrap her own head in saran wrap. She never did any of these things but the thoughts were in her head. We lowered her to 750 and THANK GOD!! those horrible thoughts stopped. But I don't think keppra is for her and I am working to figure something else out. She just doesn't do well on keppra. I know many folks do well butt.. not her. I'm not sure how long you are supposed to give it to settle in but after watching my daughter decline the last 2 months.. we are done with it. We are probably going to try the third of 3 drugs that may work for her. After this... ::shivers::

joan

I had vertigo and visual problems when i started Keppra, and stayed on it for 1 year. I had vertigo before medication, and my seizures never got under control, so i am looking to go back on it, and get to a least 1500 mg/day. Did anyone else get really sad, like i cried for a few weeks when beginning low dosage and for about 1 week when i upped it. But i can tell you, i never had the floor tilt up at 45 degrees until i started taking Keppra. And i don't know if Kepprage hit me or not--I was in a desperate state all of the time...and emotionally needy, and became angry a lot when i wasnt getting my needs met from my family, friends, boyfriend, etc.

this is me except the boyfriend, I like girls, but don't have one, sniff sniff.

so maybe the keppra xr can cause psuedo seizures is this what I am reading? I see it as a possiblity and why I keep having them, although I am on the highest level! of Keppra xr. I am ready for something different and that I dont have to take 6 pills a day. boy the needy part, I need now! not when you get done with your silly tv program NOW! I am not the onldy one?

Keppra questions

Just got put on Keppra. And weaning off of tegretol xr, I felt drunk all day yesterday, I already have anger issues and attempted suicide in my past so very scared. Any opinions?? Forced dr to see me tomorrow

good to see the doc. asap! Let him know your full history, and stay abreast of the highs and lows. I take Keppra xr and have good 3 out of 4 weeks a month, that one week is absolute hell.

Thanks, this drug has made me miserable and i have only been on it for a week. Tegretol XR has worked the best however everything i have read abioout keppra has not been too impressive. The parental unit thinks i should trust the dr. Since im posting here its plain to see i dont.

The last few days been feeling hella aggro!! Wish the parents understood how a grand mal feels then see what they have to say

on 2500 soon to be at 3000 mg of keppra

It's been a wild ride but at 2500 my moods have stabilized more and I am hopeful it stays this way. I have had just about every side effect listed but they seemed to have dissipated.

My daughter was on keppra and had thoughts of killing herself. Get off of it as soon as you can!!!!!!

yeah, I have most of the side effects as well, although I am taking the maximum amount. I felt some seizure trying to get through yesterday, just stayed in the aura state until I went to bed. I have a few miniscule ones, jerks here and there, thankfully I was pushing a shopping cart, so I was able to hide it quite well.

I really think my life would be easier if I had some sort of transportation service for rides, and medical assistance ie medications. the foundation I am setting up is going to target this type of services for Epileptics. We deserve to be able to go as we choose, those of us blessed that we can. I am working on selling my artwork for my 5013c status application fees. Then my goal is to bring epilepsy to the forefront and let the massess be informed we are underfunded and have no known cause or cure. We are important and we should come before E.D. drug research and the likes! Time to fight back for our morals! who's with me!:rock:

It seems every drug works different for everyone. After seeing the fog of keppra, it makes lamictal look good!! My daughter on keppra. On 750 daily. A minimal dose and for us the side effects are NOT worth it. When she was on 1000 mg, she had thoughts of shooting herself in the head and wrapping her head in saran wrap. WHERE DO THOUGHTS LIKE THAT COME FROM? ughhhhh We are working on getting her off of it. YET it works great for some. With any medication you do have to give yourself time to adjust. I hope it gets better for you.
Be well and enjoy
joan*

Keppra works for me. I am on the generic. I know it does not work for everyone. A head injury can cause a lot of problems. Alex, what caused your head injury?

Back
Top Bottom