Keppra vs Sodium Valproate

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ac512

New
Reaction score
I am 33 yr old. I had 3 seizures when I was 18 to 22. After that my neurologist started me on Sodium Valproate 500 twice daily with folic acid. And I never had any seizures after that. I was weaned off Sodium Valproate slowly and had been both seizure-free and medication-free for last 6 years.

Now, 3 months back I had a seizure. I am living in a different city and went to see another neurologist. He prescribed Keppra 750mg twice daily for me, instead of sodium valproate. I had been taking Keppra for last 3 months. But then I had a seizure yesterday.

Does this mean Keppra is not the right medicine for me? And I should go back to sodium valproate?

Is there anyone who have had similar experience with sodium valproate and keppra?

Hi there, i am currently changing from epilim (sodium valproate) to keppra as i wish to have a baby asap. You should speak with your neuro about your medication,maye you just need to increase your dose slightly, did they build you up on keppra then reduce the epilim gradually. I am on 600mg/epilim and i am increasing slowly my dose of keppra from 250 a day up to 1000mg a day over the next 6 - 8 weeks, then i will come off epilim. Please god the keppra works as i have been informe it is not as good as controlling JME as Epilim but i want to try it for the health of my baby as valproate is very bad for fetal growth and development.
Hope you get some answers from the neuro.

How did your change work?

Hi, I take the exact dose of sodium Valproate and am considering the same medication change to have a baby. Did it work for you? I'm very scared to have a seizure as I have not had one for 16 years since I was a child.

R

Back
Top Bottom