Keppra XR side-effects

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

marna82

New
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm hoping maybe some of you have some feedback for me. I'm 12 weeks pregnant and am on Lamictal XR, 300mg once a day, but am having breakthrough seizures. My dr wants to switch me to Keppra XR, instead of increasing the Lamictal. I was on regular Keppra a couple of years ago and it turned me into a madwoman--severe mood swings, rage, depression, etc. My dr said that a lot of people who had those side effects from the regular Keppra don't have them on the Keppra XR. Does anyone have an experience with this? Thanks for your help! :)

Hi marna82, welcome to CWE!

Have your Lamictal levels been tested? Chances are they are lower than normal because of the higher estrogen that comes with pregnancy. It flushes Lamictal out of your system faster than would normally occur -- so there could be room to increase your Lamictal dose if you don't want to make the switch.

Some folks have found that Keppra XR has given them fewer issues, but others have found the opposite is true. The official drug company info for Keppra XR basically concedes as much.

BTW, congrats on your pregnancy! I hope you can get control of the seizures one way or another.

Best,
Nakamova

I was changed from Keppra to Keppra XR in November 2010. I was having alot of headaches with Keppra and after going from 3000mgs a day to 4000mgs a day of Keppra and having break through seizures, my dr switched me over to Keppra XR at 3000mgs a day and its been a huge miracle drug for me! No more headaches, and Im feeling great! I do take a vitamin b-12 in the morning too with my morning dose. I heard alot of people say it helps with the "kepprage" keppra can cause. But for me, the change to Keppra XR has been wonderful! Congrats on the pregnancy!

Im currently on Keppra the generic brand though. I am really suffering from mood swings and killer headaches. They feel like the auras are coming back.. I feel anxiety and I cannot control my anger. Ive only been on it for two weeks. Im was on depakote for only two weeks and now on keppra. I dont know if I can deal with this moodiness. This rage. These headaches. :/

When you refill your generic Keppra ask your pharmacist if they can provide a refill from the same manufacturer. Mine have been very helpful with that. The minor variances caused me to have to readjust with each refill.

Back
Top Bottom