At last -Epileptics Unite

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Betsyboo

New
Reaction score
Hello fellow ep's,

I'm from Uk and had epilepsy for ten years, I had been fit free for five years until it reared its ugly head last February.

Thought it was time to talk about my illness and deal with it, rather that pretending it does not affect me.

I have chlonic Tonic seizures, which leaves me confused,cold and like I have been run over by a truck.

My fiance has only seen me have one seizure and is very scared and concerned and never wants me to drive agan.

I get married in October and want to start trying for a baby ASAP, so any support, guidance & advice on epilepsy and conception, pregnancy & birth would be most welcome.

I am also in the LONG process of getting my licence back from DVLA (UK driving authorities), so any tips or support here would also be great.

In the mean time looking forward to sharing your stories with you all and hope I can offer some support in the future.

Hello Betsyboo,
welcome to the forum, and Bernard is correct abouteducation being thr key over coming one's fear of epilepsy.Talking about ur epilepsy would be good try settle his fears about some things. Confratualadions on your up coming wedding.
It would begood to talk to your doctor also about having children and your medication.
Belinda

Hi Betsyboo :hello: Welcome to CWE! You came to the right place to find support, encouragement, and tons of information. Pull up a seat and make yourself at home. Have a look through the forums. I'm sure you will find the information available as helpful as I do :)

Hi Betsyboo! I'm pregant right now. :) So here's my two cents...have you talked over pregnancy with your neuro?? Like you, I have tonic clonics. When I got married and wanted to consider having kids, he immediatly began weaning me off of depakote and told me to take 800 mcg. folic acid every day. Folic acid helps to prevent birth defects and works best if taken before pregancy. He also told my hubby that I might have more siezures if I became pregnant (which I did). I ended up having 4 seizures in 4 weeks, and my hubby went out and bought a pregnancy test. Surely enough I was pregnant. Then at my OB appt, the OB (who works with many epileptic women) suggested that I switch over onto dilantin. I had a neuro appt that same day so I told him what the OB suggested, and he agreed. IT would be safer than the phenobarb I was on. So I started the changing meds that day. (I would strongly advise switching before your pregnant....trying to do that and having the fatigue of pregnancy is a bit much...All I can say is thank heavens it's over. :)) I was put on bed rest due to a little spotting at the beginning...but only for a few days. The first trimester I had some mild spotting...not bad...usually following sneezing...or bearing down in the bathroom. Second trimester has been great. Actually lookign forward to the 3rd trimester.
Now, if you have been using birth control, understand that your meds can effect how well it works. Also, different birth controls and meds can effect your ability to conceive. For example, I used Depo Provera (the shot) for birth control for 6 years before getting married. I was one of the odd cases where it took me about 6 years to get pregnant. Some women get pregnant immediately after quitting the shot, others don't. So if you want to have kids, make sure that your OB/GYN deals with women with epilepsy, and let them know if you used any birth control. Also, please ask your neuro and look online to see if the med you are taking effects fertility. some do.
Write now, my med is working great for me, and my sonogram and ultrasounds have turned out great. I know there's alot of info on line about different meds and birth defects...but you are the one that makes the decision on meds. remember to do the research, but also to try to stay calm. For example, my med is Dilatin. It's a class D drug according to the FDA. In other words, it is known to cause birth defects in some cases. That's the part where alot of people stop reading. The rest of the research says 90% of women taking it, have children with no birth defects. Also, if your seizure history is as sporadic as your message indicated, the doc may not even have you continue your med. They may pull you off the meds once you get pregnant. Or, if your dose is low enough and your only on one type of med, they may keep you on it. :) Just remember to relax and don't stress. :) As my doc said, "Go home and enjoy your pregnancy. I'll let you know if I think you have anything to worry about." I think I have a great doc... :) He and my neuro are talking, so there's no surprises. And remember what my neuro and my OB told me, " Stress can cause more harm then meds sometimes, so relax." Eat healthy, quit drinking coffee/tea and smoking (I'm struggling with the cigarettes...but I'm down to 4 cigarettes a day...) and make sure that you have a good way of dealing with stress. Take the folic acid every day, and good luck on the pregnancy. :)

leave the driving to others, it's best that way. Having people worrying about you is a headache enough. Don't have them concern about you behind the wheel also:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:. Get your discounted bus pass and walk to the store.

I'm new here and posting is also. The laughing icon are not meant to make fun of our plight. Just one way of living each day with epilepsy(the spy)

leave the driving to others, it's best that way. Having people worrying about you is a headache enough. Don't have them concern about you behind the wheel also:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:. Get your discounted bus pass and walk to the store.

I agree with Hosea! Of course I have grown kids who only require a pop, gas money or a pack of cigs to take good old mom anywhere she needs to go! I am agoraphobic and cannot leave home without a safe person with me, so I pay for their bus ticket(an all day pass is 4.75 here in Oregon for regular adult) and a reduced fare for me(.95 for Honored Citizen fare). Luckily, the kids don't mind hanging out with me at the Mall and they let me take my time in stores (especially my 20 yr old daughter-in-law who sees this as a bonding time for us)

Talk to your neuro before you get pregnant. Tell him/her that you are planning on having a family and see if they can adjust or change you medication so that the risk of birth defects is lessened. Not trying to panic you but better to be safe than sorry.

Peaceful Hugs,
Rose

Back
Top Bottom